Can impacted crop smell?

What are your thoughts about vomiting them? I see a lot of people say it's too dangerous to do.
Tookie is more experienced than I. The thread that was attached said don’t as it could aspirate and cause the chicken other problems. That’s a risk you would have to consider to make. I’ve only had to deal with one impacted crop and the oil and massage worked for me.

Hello, I wanted to post our recent success story treating sour crop in the hopes that maybe I can help someone else. We have NOT induced vomiting and would not recommend this, as we read of many fatalities. Even when she was spitting up we avoiding vomiting her, and I'm very glad we did - just not worth the risk.

Bitsy was shaking her head and looked as if she was gagging and did that repeatedly for 30 mins. Seemed ok after that, if a bit slow and quiet. Next day she kept standing in place and closing her eyes, so I knew something was wrong. Noticed she was not eating at all, and she would not take treats when offered.

Her crop initially felt soft and empty, NOT overly bulbous or squishy. She also did not have any sour smell. However, the next morning when we took her from the sick bay and palpitated her crop, we heard a very loud gurgling just like from a human stomach, over and over. And then when I leaned over and pointed her downwards, thick and very sticky strands of clear spittle/bile came forth.

From then on, her crop continued to feel full and squishy and she was spitting up thick, sticky bile so that she'd have it all over neck and chest when we'd check on her, so we became sure that it was sour crop. That said, she turned a corner overnight and is back to being a bright and feisty gal on day 3! She's eating lots of boiled yolk today and would like to go outside cause she's BORED!

Here is the routine that has worked for Bitsy:
- 3ml syringe water solution, 3x/day: solution is 1 teaspoon epsom salts dissolved in 8oz. water with one large minced garlic clove mixed in. Keep solution refrigerated.
- 1/2 teaspoon yogurt mixture, 3x/day: mixture is 1/4 cup yogurt mixed with 1/2 drop clove oil and/or 1/2 drop oregano oil (they're so strong, I didn't feel comfortable using even a full drop, so I just touched a drop and smeared that on the bowl and then worked into the yogurt with a spoon. Even that tiny amount and you can still smell the clove.
- 1/2 tsp coconut oil chips, 3x/day: just kept mashing the solidified oil against the end of her beak until she licks it with her tongue. Takes about 20 mins to get her to eat it all.
- Free feed, days 1-3: yogurt mixed with cinnamon, boiled egg yolk, grit, eggshells (day 3 is the first day she's eaten on her own)
- Free feed, days 4: we plan to add a small amount of oatmeal to the yogurt tomorrow
- Free feed, days 5-7: if she's doing well, we plan to add small amount of ground feed (1 tbsp perhaps)
- Massage crop, 5x/day or more: before each treatment or feeding, Bitsy gets a 2-3 minute crop massage. Each time we hear gurgling and stomach noises, but we can tell she's improving today because she's not clenching her eyes shut like it hurts anymore.

So we determined this morning that my 3 year old Barred Rock who is molting has impacted crop. She's been eating less, throws up liquid occasionally, a little more lethargic and has been having watery poops for several days. We thought it was molt related but we checked her crop first thing in the AM and it felt like a firm golf ball. Not overly huge but definitely full and firm. We've been giving her olive oil and coconut oil. We are keeping her inside and away from food. We've been massaging the crop as well. She has been drinking a lot of water.

Now when we massage her crop, there is a foul smell coming from her breath. Almost like poop...could it be

So we determined this morning that my 3 year old Barred Rock who is molting has impacted crop. She's been eating less, throws up liquid occasionally, a little more lethargic and has been having watery poops for several days. We thought it was molt related but we checked her crop first thing in the AM and it felt like a firm golf ball. Not overly huge but definitely full and firm. We've been giving her olive oil and coconut oil. We are keeping her inside and away from food. We've been massaging the crop as well. She has been drinking a lot of water.

Now when we massage her crop, there is a foul smell coming from her breath. Almost like poop...could it be the food stuck in her crop that is making that smell? Or could it be sour crop? Her crop was firm this morning so we are thinking it's impacted. Her poops are watery but do have some solids in it which makes us think her crop is emptying somewhat.

Thanks!
Sounds like sour crop

Back
Top Bottom