My life was saved when I bought chickens

maidenwolfx80

Songster
7 Years
Jul 26, 2012
missouri

I grew up spending my summers at my grandmothers farm helping with the cows, horses, pigs, goats and chickens that she kept. It was the only place I wanted to be. I lived in a subburb so we did not keep chickens at home and as I grew up and moved out I spent less and less time at the farm. My grandmother passed and they sold the farm. I really missed the freedom that the farm gave me and the passion for the animals was aching inside me. I searched for years to find a good place in the coutry to raise my kids and to be able to have a little family farm of our own. I wanted to teach my kids and instill in them the way things are and were things come from. I found my temp place. Yea it isnt what I wanted but the land was there. 4 acres wasnt too bad for a rental. The house didnt really matter because I wouldnt be spending too much time in it with land to roam. It is a beat up old single wide trailer, terrible insulation and just barely big enough for my family of 4 + 3 dogs. It would have to do.
My dream was always to get chickens and goats and then move up from there. My DH agreed. He didnt grow up with a farming family so he didnt really uderstand the passion but he is supportive. We knew we would have to wait a couple years after moving to build up money to build a coop and get supplies and this was ok. I began having terrible pain issues thoughout my joints and muscles. After 2 years of tests we find that I have fibromyagia and RA, at 29 I was diagnosed. I was devestated. I went thru doctor after doctor trying to find a way to ease my pain. I had to quit my job and I filed for disability. It was getting hard to find medicines that would take any pain away at all. I could not sleep and every move was like a bone breaking. Disability was declined so I got a laywer. I fell into a deep depression. I laid in bed all day, did not cook for my kids or clean or interact. I felt lost and helpless. I needed to snap out of it.
June of 2012 I visited a local farm and decided to take home some chickens and turkeys. We had a makeshift place for them set up already and I brought them home and welcomed them to ther new coop. They were about 6 weeks and didnt need a light. I felt a huge weight lifted off my chest as all those fond memories of my grandmothers farm came rushing back. I could not control myself but to hold my turkey poult and cry. Since bringing home my 8 chickens and 2 turkeys, I am up to 66 chickens and 2 turkey. I got an incubator for my birthday lol so it will be non stop.
I have nver felt better in my life. I am still battling pain and my disability case but these birds give me reason to rise in the morning and get moving. My kids are both in school and very independant so they really dont need me like they used to. I have something that relies on me. As soon as I step out the front door they rush towards me and this makes my day. I dont know were I would be if I didnt get chickens last year. They have made a huge impact on my life.

Maidenwolf thanks for sharing your story. I think there are a lot of people who were saved by their chickens (and other fur-kids). Kudos to your DH for being open as having poultry as pets is quite foreign to most people. I think your Grandmother would be so happy that your childhood experiences at her loving farm have brought you renewal and peace in your adulthood.
hugs.gif

Thank you for your thoughts. My birds are pets and they all get attention every day. I know that alot of people on this forum feel the same way.

I, too, have fibromyalgia, so I KNOW what it's like, pain and fatigue and depression. I live alone, but did have a good job from which I could retire early so I didn't have to go the disability route.

I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia after I got my first chickens, but I do know my then-little flock contributed to my having my BP med dosage lowered! Since then I moved to my own little two-thirds of an acre and expanded the flock to about 50 chickens, 28 ducks, 3 turkeys and 2 geese. Plus the two mini-doxies and a cat.

They have collectively improved my life so much it's hard to choose a percentage. Love 'em all!

I will be only 24 this year but have suffered from body aches and pains for most of my life. When I was a kid, I suffered from very painful hip bursitus as well as a severe knee injury. 4 years ago, I suffered a back injury as well as a nerve injury which led to a nerve disorder called Complex Regional Pain Syndrome. Over the years, I have gotten hurt riding horses or weight lifting. All of that put together I now suffer from: Bilateral Shoulder Bursitus and bone spurs, Long Term Pain and slight memory issues due to my horse rolling over me on the roadway, Long term neck due to lateral whip lash, hip pain, knee pain due to cartalige buildup in both knees from injuries, nerve pain and weakness/knumbness due to the nerve disorder in my lower back and legs, and on top of that, my hands are already in the beginning stages of being arthritic... the only way I have been able to go thru life as a happy, fun, quirky person is because of all my animals. It forces me to not only keep my body moving and my muscles strong by caring for them but my horses and chickens help keep my mind focused on them and not on my pain or injuries. I would be a very different person without my animals. Even being out of work due to my back injury for the last 4 yrs, I have been able to continue to have my horses and with the help of my wonderful man, Elmer, we together have been able to enjoy 4 horses and get into the whole chicken raising and I just love it!!! Even when I'm not out with my animals, I'm spending a lot of time thinking about all the veggie scraps I can feed the chickens or diffent things I can make for them. Right now, I'm currently brainstoring a new chicken coop design. I have so much fun and my chickens and horses keep me busy and keeps my mind working.

There is always something that needs attention when raising any livestock. It is good to have things that keep you going. Thank you all for sharing your stories, lets keep them coming..

I am a little late to the party, I know this thread was started a year ago - but wow. I am on the same page. I find that my animals help me so much. I started with dogs (oh how dogs bless our lives) and when I moved to the country I started keeping chickens. I love them. It has been so awesome for my kids, and for me. I am so sorry about your fibromyalgia. I have two friends that suffer from it and it is not easy. I am glad that your animals bring you comfort. I have a very bad back and on bad days I literally apply warm dogs! The chickens may not be able to help my back but they do really lift my spirits with their hilarious antics and craziness!. I am new to this forum and loving it. Every answer I need is here, plus people love their chickens and are as crazy about them as I am! I found my people!

Same story, disabling endometriosis and meds with worse side effects, multiple surgeries and disability. Deep depression from losing my career (and identity) and being home alone all the time. Needed a reason to get out of bed. I awake to cackling hens and know they need me to let them out. They make me go outside and get sunshine and fresh air several times a day. They amuse and feed me. I got great exercise building their coop and run, had to research and learn new things. They give me perspective and joy. The chickens rescued me.

Back
Top Bottom