Euthanasia Through Carbon Monoxide

teach1rusl

Love My Chickens
14 Years
Jul 28, 2009
Floyds Knobs, Indiana
My Coop
My Coop
We finally put a bird down today, and after reading about all the different methods, this is the one that my husband and I both agreed seemed best for our situation. I'm sharing the experience because I know there are probably lots of folks out there who (like me) will eventually find themselves in a similar situation, and may find the information useful. We chose this method based on humans reporting no pain, and basically being unaware when being being poisoned by carbon monoxide...just feeling drowsy, going to sleep.

Background: We keep chickens for pets. Our oldest girls are four, and will be here until they die, whether they lay eggs or not (as will all of our birds). We keep various large fowl breeds, a few bantam breeds such as silkies and d'uccles, and seramas. Over the past four years, I've had one chicken die of interal laying issues, and two to unkown ailments (unexpected deaths of seemingly very healthy birds). I've paid $40 to have one tiny serama put down at our local vet; he was ailing and slowly starving to death - no longer had quality of life. They are not avian doctors, so her best guess on his illness was a fungal infection in his lungs. When I took him in, I didn't realize it would cost that much (he probably only weighed 12 ounces). My husband used to hunt quite a bit, so he can "do the deed" if needed, but it's a lot different when it's a pet-like animal you've held and become attached to.

Approximately three weeks ago, this young hen (Chloe - serama, 13 months) began acting "off." Because our chickens are pets and I spent so much time interacting with them, I recognize things that aren't usual pretty quickly. At first, I just thought that she was going broody, because she'd give that broody warning call and puff up when other birds approached her, and she stayed in the coop, close to two setting broodies. But then, maybe a week and a half ago, I noticed that she was closing her eyes quite often. Soon, it became apparent that she was either losing her sight, that her sight was very distorted, or that she was blind. She's one of my more skittish birds, and I could run my hand right up beside her face with pretty much no reaction. Her pupils were staying dialated, no longer telescoping the way most chickens' pupils do when focusing on different objects. Over the week, it'd come down to me having to put a feeder and waterer right up against her and peck with my fingers so that she could eat/drink. I was doing that several times each day to be sure she was able to eat. It was pitiful watching her reach down to eat from the feeder, or get a drink, only to miss by a good inch or so even after I'd pecked at it with my finger, so she could hear where it was. I'd also have to lift her to the roost each evening, and take her down each morning. She was not scratching about or doing any "chickeny" things. And although she was managing to get at least a little food down, she'd lost quite a bit of weight (and she was a small bird to begin with). To me, she was no longer enjoying quality of life.

Procedure: I will describe the procedure we used to euthanize Chloe. I did take pictures of our trial run set-up, and can email those if desired. I wasn't sure that it was appropriate to post them. We did a trial run without Chloe, because we wanted to make sure things would go smoothly - I was trying to keep this procedure as stress-free as possible for her AND for us. Equipment we used: a cat carrier, section of tubing/hose that would fit over my car's exhaust pipe (the hose from a wet vac was suggested by some), a large plastic garbage bag, duct tape or something similar, and wire.

This was our trial run - without the chicken:

I put a bath towel in the carrier, formed to make a comfortable cubby/nest.
I placed the carrier as far back inside the garbage bag as it'd go, with the door of the carrier facing front...bag and contents resting on ground.
We placed one end of the hose over the end of the exhaust pipe. Our hose was adjustable by twisting, so we didn't need to tape for a decent seal. Duct tape could be used if it was really loose though.
We gathered the front of the garbage bag (still resting on the ground) as quietly as possibly around the other end of the hose, and twisted the wire around it snugly to keep it in place...like a twist tie on a bread bag.
We started the car.

What we found was that the bag filled up QUICKLY, so we cut a three - four inch slit in the back of the bag to allow gases to escape. Also, we found that it gets hots pretty quickly too, so even a few minutes of the car running was too much. If the air coming from the slit is getting really warm, cut the engine.

When we actually euthanized Chloe, we cuddled her a little, reached her back into the carrier, closed the door, gathered and tied/wired the bag around the hose end as quietly as possible, and started the car. We let it run for about a minute (the bag was full), turned the car off, put a strip of tape over the slit in the bag, removed the hose from the exhaust and covered the end with duct tape (a hand sealed over it would work too). We did this a total of THREE times (because the bag began to deflate within a few minutes), although we didn't run the car as long each succeeding time. We think she was dead on the first attempt, because we didn't hear anything/no movement sensed, but we wanted to make sure. Our concern was perhaps that she was just unconscious. From start to finish, it took us about 20 minutes. Again though, we're pretty certain she was dead within the first 5 minutes.

Chloe is now buried beneath our line of cedar trees.

I'm so sorry for your loss of Chloe. Having to euthanize a pet has is one of the toughest decisions made by their owner done out of love for their pet.

So sorry for your loss. I can't even imagine your pain.
hugs.gif

Thank you both. It made for a very emotionally-draining day, but I feel we did the right thing. Hopefully my post will help others having to make the same difficult decision...

Thank you very much for posting your experience euthanizing Chloe. I have been keeping chickens as my only pets only for one year and it has always been my concern to figure out what I should do if I happen to be in a situation like yours, which deep in my heart I know it will eventually come.
We have a CO2 tank that we purchased to euthanize some HOSPs (house sparrows) that have become a pest in our property, they nest in our roof all year around and make a heck of a mess with poop and lots of nest trash all over our balcony and patios, no to mention the parasites and deceases they carry. Some people actually call them flying rats. We bought 2 sparrow traps and when I get around 6 or 8 I put them in a big bird cage, then I put the cage in a cardboard box which has a hole on it for the tank hose and turn the gas on. I let it run for a minute and turn it off, five minutes later the sparrows are dead. I pick them up and take them to the pasture for the vultures to find.
I have to confess that I am not happy at all doing this, I much rather find another way to get rid of them, but so far this is the most humane method DH and I have found. So far we have killed 33 sparrows since spring started (mating season) but it looks like we still have about 50 and they keep on coming.
So I probably have all the equipment needed if one of my hens needs to be euthanized. I truly hope this never happens, but we all know better. It is gratifying to learn that somebody else thinks this method is the least painful and the most humane.
The description of what you did is very clear and understanding. Once again I thank you for letting us know about this issue that nobody wants to think but that has to be dealt with.

I found this post very helpful as i had to cull a baby chick today that had been picked on by some older chicks. After reading your post this is what i decided to do. It worked peacefully! I shared this in a chicken group I am part of and some of the reactions where very disturbing from "torture" to other suggestions. I found this to be very humane and fairly quick. I hope i dont end up in this situation again but if i do, this is what i will do again. And the baking soda and peroxide is the same thing as the tailpipe both are carbon monoxide.

Sorry for your loss. As a child I saw my father dispatch several injured animals in this manner. Grey Squirrels mostly, they were forever getting hit by cars. I brought home a cat once, that had been hit by a car, my mom & I took it to the vet at my insistence. $20 before the vet would look at it, I think $15 more to have it put down. That was a lot of money back in the 60's! My mom was not a happy camper & I was told not to be dragging any more injured animals home. Back some 10 years ago I drowned a litter of young feral kittens. Don't know how they felt about it but I found it to be a very unpleasant experience. Took longer than I had hoped. The next litter I used as bait to trap the mother & took em all to the pound. That Momma cat was crazy feral, scrawny, ugly & mean! Haven't had a problem since.

Thank you for posting this. I'm sorry you had to go through it but I appreciate you sharing your method. I haven't yet had to euthanize one of our pet chickens but I know that given enough time, it will happen. This seems like a good alternative.

I've been wondering what we will do when the time comes to euthanize one of our chickens. We have quite a few and things do happen. We just had an incident where I thought we might have to do this. One of our Delaware hens was so sick she couldn't stand up, she just kept falling over and was very thin. She was eating and drinking fine, so we kept her in the house to see if we could nurse her back to health. It took full month, but she's fine now. I'm glad to know that there is a humane option if something happens that we can't heal or help. Thanks for posting this.

Hello, teach1rusl. It's been 9 years since you lost your Chloe. Just in case you see this, I want you to know that your post from 2009 helped me tremendously when it was clear my Earline wasn't going to survive despite our efforts and vet care. I didn't want to put her through the stress of travel to the vet, but wanted to give her a gentle death. This morning, I followed the instructions you offered for using carbon monoxide and my sweet hen died very quickly and peacefully. She fell asleep without struggle. Thank you for helping so many other humans and their hens!

Back
Top Bottom