Curious about introducing chicks to a broody

Beldenfarm

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jun 5, 2013
Has anyone bought day old chicks and just put them under a broody chicken at night? I'm wondering if this would work in the spring for me. I have 2 Cochins and one silkie.... One is bound to be broody because they are known to be momma wannabees! I want to know if the momma will accept and raise chicks plopped under her!!!

Also curious, what if the hen isn't broody but I still put chicks under her at night in the nest box. Will she adopt them anyways? Any thought or stories would be appreciated!!!

Don’t stick them under a hen that is not broody. Odds are pretty good she would kill them.

A whole lot of us do things like that. Odds are really good she will accept them and raise them if she has been broody a while. Just slip them under her after dark. They are living animals so no one can give you any guarantees, you have to be prepared to raise them in a brooder if it doesn’t work, but it almost always works. It’s a good plan as long as she is really broody.

A broody hen, one that's been setting for at least 2 weeks or so, is pretty likely to accept chicks.

A non broody hen, or one that's only been broody a short time, is quite likely to kill chicks. I've had 2 month old birds killed by adult hens, and those were old enough to at least try to run away.

Don’t stick them under a hen that is not broody. Odds are pretty good she would kill them.

X2
A broody hen, one that's been setting for at least 2 weeks or so, is pretty likely to accept chicks.

A non broody hen, or one that's only been broody a short time, is quite likely to kill chicks. I've had 2 month old birds killed by adult hens, and those were old enough to at least try to run away.
That's terrible! One would think that after they tried to get away, the older hens would have left them alone.

We have a little bantam hen that stayed on the nest for about three weeks. We purchased a newly hatched chick from a local feed store (had just hatched there within the hour). -brought it home and placed it under her in the nest box. She immediately tucked it under her wing. -was a very good mother. We placed the chick underneath her as soon as we got it home (and it was still daylight).

We have a little bantam hen that stayed on the nest for about three weeks. We purchased a newly hatched chick from a local feed store (had just hatched there within the hour). -brought it home and placed it under her in the nest box. She immediately tucked it under her wing. -was a very good mother. We placed the chick underneath her as soon as we got it home (and it was still daylight).
Lol at the innocent little chicken face and then the "I'll rip your hand off if you touch my little fuzzbutt" on mama

X2
That's terrible! One would think that after they tried to get away, the older hens would have left them alone.
Nope, read a lot of integration threads. Introducing chicks younger than 4ish months is a really good way to get dead chicks.

I have a broody hen that I want to introduce chicks to. She is in a nest box that if off the ground. If I put them with her how will they get food and water? Will she take them down to the ground? Should I put food and water close to them?

Back
Top Bottom