Rooster Collar

Geordonbuck223

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 7, 2011
What are your guys's opinion on rooster collars.....are they humane or no I don't want to get a rooster collar if it is going to hurt or bother my rooster let me know from experiences or thoughts!!!

I've done a lot of research on them recently since our 'girl' turned out to be a roo and I wanted to keep him(we decided not to, however), and I guess they're hit or miss on whether they actually work, like it depends on your rooster and apparently there might be more success with them if they are started on them young(maybe when they are first attempting to crow?) Whether they're humane or not, as long as it isn't so tight that it inhibits their eating, swallowing, crop, breathing, etcetera and it only stops them from crowing, I personally wouldn't mind using one if I knew it was going to work. It WILL bother your roo at first of course, and I hear that they will walk backwards, trying to 'back out of it' and stuff, but eventually they'll get used to them. They'll need monitoring for the first while, so adjustments can be made and whatnot, and once they get 'used' to the collar, further monitoring to make sure they can eat and drink and mate and all that fun stuff.

I'd say go for it if you want to give it a shot.

I realize it's been awhile since your original post I'm wondering if you ever tried one out? We're going rounds with a neighbor of ours and I tried a couple of collars out just tonight. Tried and failed. We will try again tomorrow.
Our little Roo freaked out walking backwards, falling all over everything in his path.. He then crowed as loud as ever so we tightened it just a bit so then he lays down on the floor..yes lays head down and closes his eyes. I whipped that thing off so fast... I really have a difficult time with things like this. Any suggestions? Encouraging words?

Mine gave me the little I'm dying show too, back flips, running backwards, laying down playing dead, open mouth breathing, and finally just sitting there glaring at me because I called him out for being a faker. I watched him very closely throughout the who charade and he was breathing fine and making grumbly chicken noises just fine so I let him finish his tantrum and these days he doesn't even seem to notice that it's on. But I do. His crow is quiet and clipped off enough at the end that I'm able to keep him without notice from anyone in a rooster restricted area. And I'm so glad because he's such a handsome little cuddler.

Mine gave me the little I'm dying show too, back flips, running backwards, laying down playing dead, open mouth breathing, and finally just sitting there glaring at me because I called him out for being a faker. I watched him very closely throughout the who charade and he was breathing fine and making grumbly chicken noises just fine so I let him finish his tantrum and these days he doesn't even seem to notice that it's on. But I do. His crow is quiet and clipped off enough at the end that I'm able to keep him without notice from anyone in a rooster restricted area. And I'm so glad because he's such a handsome little cuddler.
You made me lol!!
Exactly! We must have been In the same theatre but at different showings!
My Roo is a Bantam Sultan and his neck is short....Thick and the actual collar would not work. I should say "collars" since we have made seven attempts to make a different color that would suit him but did not. Yesterday morning he was crowing like crazy it was very unusual for him. So I grabbed the first thing I saw which was that medical wrap?
I hastily cut it down so it wasn't quite as wide, I cut it down to 1 inch. Laid him on his back Until he fell asleep, then wrapped that stuff around his neck as fast as I could manage. By golly… It worked! Geez who would've known.? It was a cheap roll from a dollar store I'm going to go up and get some quality stuff that will hold better. If it continues to work got to figure out how to reverse a court order because of the noise disturbance… If he is no longer noisy.

Back
Top Bottom