No crow collar — what’s your experience?

Alilbit88

In the Brooder
Aug 29, 2023
Anyone successfully found a no crow collar that works long term?? What’s your experience?

Do you put it on 24/7 or you have a time schedule?

I live in a neighborhood and took home 2 rescue roosters. 1 is a bantam I believe and a Copper Maran? Anyway my neighbors are nice so far but i don’t know how long it will last bc there is another neighbor whose chickens is a baby roo and now they’re having a crowing competition when outside.

It seems unsafe if too tight it could cost Asphyxiation or long term wear could lead to death is what I’m seeing alot.

So has anyone successful found something like this that works and is safe and comfortable for the rooster?

I found this one on Etsy and going to try:
I plan only letting them wear it for a few hours at their “peak” crow times for a few hours and indoor early in the morning like an hour before I let them outside.
https://www.etsy.com/listing/1021337316/rewild-rooster-collar?click_key=3269894f6a9004f58d40e5ba88bbd813dccb69ff:1021337316&click_sum=a28302e9&ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=no+crow+collar&ref=sr_gallery-1-1&organic_search_click=1&frs=1

Attachments

• 6FA7B489-67EA-4282-8075-FEDDE722D407.png
    6FA7B489-67EA-4282-8075-FEDDE722D407.png
    518.1 KB · Views: 16
Anyone successfully found a no crow collar that works long term?? What’s your experience?

Do you put it on 24/7 or you have a time schedule?

I live in a neighborhood and took home 2 rescue roosters. 1 is a bantam I believe and a Copper Maran? Anyway my neighbors are nice so far but i don’t know how long it will last bc there is another neighbor whose chickens is a baby roo and now they’re having a crowing competition when outside.

It seems unsafe if too tight it could cost Asphyxiation or long term wear could lead to death is what I’m seeing alot.

So has anyone successful found something like this that works and is safe and comfortable for the rooster?

I found this one on Etsy and going to try:
I plan only letting them wear it for a few hours at their “peak” crow times for a few hours and indoor early in the morning like an hour before I let them outside.
https://www.etsy.com/listing/1021337316/rewild-rooster-collar?click_key=3269894f6a9004f58d40e5ba88bbd813dccb69ff:1021337316&click_sum=a28302e9&ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=no+crow+collar&ref=sr_gallery-1-1&organic_search_click=1&frs=1
Crow collars really are awful for me. They don’t do that much, and the injury risk is pretty high. Mine almost died from choking on food with the collar on and if i wasn’t there he would have definitely died. Most of the time, they slip the collar in between their beak to try prying it off, and it makes their beak bleed since it forces it open.

For me it was a waste of money. I had better chances dimming their coop in the early morning so they assumed it was still night, and insulated it a bit. That worked pretty well actually.

Do you have a license for a rooster where you live?

I’ve had two roosters and they have worked pretty good.
I bought the collar, but it’s not as good as just buying Velcro type hoop and hook material. Just have to make sure you check it on a weekly basis.
Muffles the sound. Sure the rooster can crow 1000 times in the day, but the sound is reduced quite well. Not perfect.
For me, it does what I need it to.

You have to be super vigilant. And don’t buy a cheap brand. They can’t wear it overnight, too dangerous… it works okay in the daytime until they work out how to wiggle it around so the loosest point is in front of their larynx, then their mighty crow is set free. The other issue is, eating is uncomfortable with the collar against their throat so they lose a ton of weight.

I’ve had two roosters and they have worked pretty good.
I bought the collar, but it’s not as good as just buying Velcro type hoop and hook material. Just have to make sure you check it on a weekly basis.
Muffles the sound. Sure the rooster can crow 1000 times in the day, but the sound is reduced quite well. Not perfect.
For me, it does what I need it to.
How long did the roosters wear them for? Months? Years? Did you had it on 24/7 or you take off at certain times?
Another user said the collars make them uncomfortable so they don’t eat much and loose alot of weight. What’s your experience?

Thanks

A roosters most noticeable crows are the 4-5am crows, unless you plan on getting up that early every day to put on the collar to Slightly muffle the noise, they'll be crowing long before your up

A roosters most noticeable crows are the 4-5am crows, unless you plan on getting up that early every day to put on the collar to Slightly muffle the noise, they'll be crowing long before your up
That’s right, we have a sleep box in the outside laundry and the young cockerels move into the laundry at night as soon as they are witnessed crowing. The collar is for when the big guy is out free ranging during the day and defending his ladies. He got so skinny though, we had to stop using it :/

How long did the roosters wear them for? Months? Years? Did you had it on 24/7 or you take off at certain times?
Another user said the collars make them uncomfortable so they don’t eat much and loose alot of weight. What’s your experience?

Thanks
From a week after the started crowing to 4 years out for one and the other is still wearing it.
They wear them 24/7. I check the tightness every Saturday.
The buff Brahma was huge. He ate no problem. He passed, not due to the collar. The Ayam Cemani is pretty normal size.
I spend a lot of time with the flock. So maybe that has something to do with it. They act the same as when they didn’t wear the collar. But like mentioned, there is a weekly checking.

From a week after the started crowing to 4 years out for one and the other is still wearing it.
They wear them 24/7. I check the tightness every Saturday.
The buff Brahma was huge. He ate no problem. He passed, not due to the collar. The Ayam Cemani is pretty normal size.
I spend a lot of time with the flock. So maybe that has something to do with it. They act the same as when they didn’t wear the collar. But like mentioned, there is a weekly checking.
How long did your other roosters wear them? Which brand do u use? Did any have problems eating or died from it? I may need to contact you later for advice. I live in a neighborhood and got them from a neglect situation. Would like to keep them together with the flock so I’ve been trying to experiment with everything. I want to give them quality of life as best as I can including outdoors time foraging with everyone. one is Bantam and 1 copper Maran I think. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom