No crow collar

I have heard of these crow collars and was wondering if they are actually safe for the rooster.

They're safe until they're not. I've never had a roo but I do see the occasional post about a rooster choking or being strangled to death by one, so as with everything, there's some level of risk.

It seems a bit selfish to take away a rooster's roosteriness just to fit him into a human situation. Crowing is what roosters do. It is an innate, important behavior that serves many functions. Why keep an animal if you're not going to let it display/exercise it's most basic instincts?

Just my .02 cents. Good luck to you and your roo.

I don't think I like the no-crow collars but some people have success. If it works and makes a way for your rooster to stay in his home with you, I think that's a good thing.

We spay and neuter our dogs and cats, taking away their dogginess & cattiness (if only 😂), after all. It's hard to find someone to neuter a rooster, though. Vets don't know how. The rare private party who may have taught herself how will most likely not help because of onerous regulations. So yeah, try the collar but be careful. I've heard a lot of scary things about them, but I've also heard some good things. Best of luck with your little guy.

And if you can, get your family out of the city/burbs--I'll bet you'll all be happier--we are.

Ok, so I figured I would update y'all as I go with this. We received our collars (came in a 3 pack from a seller on Amazon) on Friday, but after reading instructions and watching videos on correct fitting, we decided to wait until morning so we could monitor him throughout the day to ensure his safety before letting him sleep in it.
Saturday morning he started what has become his usual routine ( crowing roughly once an hour from 8:30 to whenever he feels like, usually between 2-5ish) he isn't at his oldest yet, at almost 27 weeks, but his frequency has been increasing lately. After placing the collar, LOOSELY, to allow him to adjust to the feeling, he elected to not even attempt crowing for the remainder of the day. ( Note: the collar was not remotely tightened, easily could get multiple fingers under, but not loose enough for him to reach it with his foot to pull off. As instructed, we placed it under his feathers making sure everything was smooth and comfortable for him)
Sunday: this morning, Mr E (named mystery as a straight run chick 😉😜) was comfortable enough to crow again. We went in and adjusted his collar to the appropriate size. This did take a couple of tries, as we did not want to just surprise him and tighten it all the way at once. Ultimately, we ended up getting it to the recommended fit, one pinky can slide between collar and neck. Mr E seems comfortable, has taken his "crow stance" a couple times, but no crow as of now. Will update again over next couple of days, but so far so good.

Texicaliblues: how are things going with the collar since your last post? Debating trying one...would love to hear your report. 🙂

At what age would it be safe to use? My welsummer is only 11 weeks, but has been crowing for a month. Can I use the collar now, or do I risk cutting off airflow because he's still growing? If I can use it now, would I adjust it weekly as he grows? I'd really love to keep him but, he's crowing earlier and earlier every day :(

We also are in the 'burbs in a no-rooster township. I'm in love with my 4-month-old cockerel, Adam Chicken (Yes, my husband is aware, and while not approving, he accepts this affair was bound to happen. Adam is just soooo handsome.) We purchased a no crow collar from https://nocrowroostercollars.com/ when we heard him crow once. The plan was to wait until he started getting loud to try the collar.

Well, we are still waiting. He has crowed twice, both times, multiple crows in a row -- both times in the afternoon. The crows were so cute and quiet -- we have other birds on our lawn which are much louder, as is our attic fan and my neighbor's AC.

Could he just be a quiet rooster?

IMG_2529.jpg

Ok, here's another update for inquiring minds ;)
MrE has grown quite a bit. At first we adjusted the collar (quite a few times honestly) as he was growing too ensure that 1. It was tight enough to be effective 2. That it wasn't so tight it hurt him or his ability to breathe and eat.
As he got bigger the collar actually became more effective. Now, when he goes to grow, it is nothing but a squeeky little gurgle. He is not uncomfortable, still dominates and takes exceptional care of his girls, he has not lost trust in is or become aggressive... When he eats too fast (normally when treats are involved) it almost sounds like he burps (I'm guessing air getting trapped from the restrictive space?) But again, doesn't seem to bother him. He is healthy and happy... And so are my neighbors I'm sure 😝

My biggest suggestion is to MONITOR CLOSELY, have patience and adjust when necessary

Ok, here's another update for inquiring minds ;)
MrE has grown quite a bit. At first we adjusted the collar (quite a few times honestly) as he was growing too ensure that 1. It was tight enough to be effective 2. That it wasn't so tight it hurt him or his ability to breathe and eat.
As he got bigger the collar actually became more effective. Now, when he goes to grow, it is nothing but a squeeky little gurgle. He is not uncomfortable, still dominates and takes exceptional care of his girls, he has not lost trust in is or become aggressive... When he eats too fast (normally when treats are involved) it almost sounds like he burps (I'm guessing air getting trapped from the restrictive space?) But again, doesn't seem to bother him. He is healthy and happy... And so are my neighbors I'm sure 😝

My biggest suggestion is to MONITOR CLOSELY, have patience and adjust when necessary
How often are you checking the tightness? I emailed the manufacturer for recommendations on how often to check because he's still so young, but they haven't responded.
Are you putting the collar at the base of his neck?

How often are you checking the tightness? I emailed the manufacturer for recommendations on how often to check because he's still so young, but they haven't responded.
Are you putting the collar at the base of his neck?
At the beginning we were checking daily. We started not very tight and slowly adjusted until it was tight enough. Now I visually "inspect" him daily when I'm out in the coop/run with them all. I don't think there's a universal answer for sizing as each rooster is going to be different. Basically, you want it to be as tight as possible without discomforting him. It goes down farther than what you might think.. you want it at the base of the neck, under the feathers. It was easiest for us to do a two person method. I held him in my lap facing away from me while my husband fit the band. Attempting to put it on while standing did not allow for his neck to stretch, he would just kind of hunch it into his shoulders and the band would be too high. Hope this helps!!

Back
Top Bottom