Moving Baby Chicks

csberge

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 17, 2013
I need some help!! The brooder I have is getting too small for my 5 - 3 week old chicks. I know I shouldn't put them in a coop until they get their feathers but Im curious if I put a heat lamp in the coop itself and one in the run would it be ok? They would still be by themselves as I don't plan on introducing them to the big girls until they are about 8 weeks old.

Are your chicks starting to get breast feathers yet? If so I would say putting them in the coop would be ok, ive got 6 chicks out in mine with no lamp, but my coop seals pretty well. If they arent growing breast feathers id leave them inside with fresh litter

Thanks DarthCareBear, I think I'll leave mine in the brooder for another week. I do let them out in a small enclosed area for about 15 mins at time and they really enjoy that, but I live in California and the weather has been in the high 70's so they stay nice and warm. I think they can manage the brooder for another week.

It will not hurt them to be in coop with heat lamp. I have 12 4 days old in large coop with 2 heat lamps--one stays on during day and I turn both on at night as we are in the 30s--they love it and are thriving.

It will not hurt them to be in coop with heat lamp. I have 12 4 days old in large coop with 2 heat lamps--one stays on during day and I turn both on at night as we are in the 30s--they love it and are thriving.
That is good to know!!! The big girls new coop won't be completed until this weekend so that would be the soonest I could move the peeps. So we'll see. I also have the brooder on my bathroom counter and I must admit it will be nice to get it out of there!! Hahahaha

Back
Top Bottom