Moving chicks and ducks outside

EZFarms

Songster
10 Years
Nov 23, 2013
northern california
I've done this now for almost 20 years and I still feel like a helicopter parent when it comes to transitioning them.

Currently I have 4 6 week old chicks and 4 4 week old ducks. Both of which have outgrown their brooder. They've been off heat maybe a week now while in an unheated garage and today i moved them out to their transition pen which is basically an old dog run that's been doctored for chicks and had a temp coop put in it. The pen is covered but not 100% draft proof but the coop area is. Current Temps are about 50 but this storm that decided to hit is gonna drop us back into the 30s at night. They should all group up and huddle right? Would it be better to move them to the cramped brooder until the weather let's up? Am I just being paranoid for no reason? 😅😅
1000013257.jpg

I've done this now for almost 20 years and I still feel like a helicopter parent when it comes to transitioning them.

Currently I have 4 6 week old chicks and 4 4 week old ducks. Both of which have outgrown their brooder. They've been off heat maybe a week now while in an unheated garage and today i moved them out to their transition pen which is basically an old dog run that's been doctored for chicks and had a temp coop put in it. The pen is covered but not 100% draft proof but the coop area is. Current Temps are about 50 but this storm that decided to hit is gonna drop us back into the 30s at night. They should all group up and huddle right? Would it be better to move them to the cramped brooder until the weather let's up? Am I just being paranoid for no reason? 😅😅View attachment 3790908
I'm sorry no one has responded to your post yet. Since the storm is probably over, hope they survived :)! What did you end up doing?

Back
Top Bottom