I moved them outside at 2 weeks. Yay or nay?

Pics

GoldenGirlsChicks

In the Brooder
Mar 24, 2024
I got my baby chicks 2 weeks ago. We had them inside in a brooder box from tractor supply. They seem to grow quick and were really getting cramped in the box. Today we used our Great Dane’s old dog cage and put it outside. We wrapped it with tarp and put the brooder lamp inside and lined the bottom with pine shavings and put some tree limbs inside to entertain them. We live in central Texas. It’s been in the upper 70’s during the day and 50’s at nite. Will they be ok? Did I move them outside too soon?

I got my baby chicks 2 weeks ago. We had them inside in a brooder box from tractor supply. They seem to grow quick and were really getting cramped in the box. Today we used our Great Dane’s old dog cage and put it outside. We wrapped it with tarp and put the brooder lamp inside and lined the bottom with pine shavings and put some tree limbs inside to entertain them. We live in central Texas. It’s been in the upper 70’s during the day and 50’s at nite. Will they be ok? Did I move them outside too soon?
At those temps and as long as they are out of wind/drafts kept dry. And have an age/feather appropriate warm spot large enough for all to warm/sleep under with your brooder lamp, they should be fine temperature wise.

Last edited:
Yes. The brooder box was just too small for them. So they are in the dog cage. Same setup as the brooder box inside. We just moved them outside and gave them a bigger box basically. We don’t yet have a coop for them and they seem to be too small still to just run around the yard.

Is this a wire dog kennel? Chicks are predator magnets and a wire dog cage and tarps will not keep a weasel or a raccoon's hands out.
👆
We don’t yet have a coop for them and they seem to be too small still to just run around the yard.
As stated not predator proof, and too young for any type of unsupervised free ranging. Shorter supervised trips at those temps would be ok but they will still need to frequent heat source to warm up. Sorry to say it but even your neighbor's cat would love to see them roaming the yard and also able to reach in wire cage. You could wrap cage with hardware cloth to get you by for a short time. But like you said they grow quickly and will need more space and better protection. Controlling their temps has much easier solutions than predator proofing does. How many chicks do you have?

Last edited:
That should be fine.
You just need to monitor them to make sure they're staying warm enough, I think. But, your temps will most likely be fine for your chicks.
I did the same thing my dog kennel. I wrapped it in chicken wire and my birds have been quite safe. Just make sure they don't sleep next to the wire; that could be an easy ticket for a predator.

Back
Top Bottom