Help with post egg bound chicken

booksandcranies

In the Brooder
Oct 27, 2023
POST EGG BINDING ADVICE

Hello!! I made a post about this yesterday but I’m hoping to get more feed back as I’m wanting to make sure I’m not missing ANYTHING, and I am concerned still.

I was successful with helping my chicken remove her bound egg- and I’m fairly certain she doesn’t have another egg stuck as the area around her vent feels very “empty” if I were to touch it it’s just squishy and not hard like it had been when she was bound. there’s nothing that would indicate to me there’s another egg

The egg came out completely intact and it didn’t look infected, just a normal egg with a bunch of bumps on it.

Throughout the entire ordeal she was still able to go to the bathroom. She even ate a little bit but after passing the egg she’s been not interested in food or water as much. She’s not hunched anymore but she seems not like herself. It’s probably just the fact that she is super sore but I’m concerned I’m missing something and bc I’m a novice chicken keeper I’m not seeing it

I have noticed that sometimes when she goes to the bathroom blue goo will sometimes appear- and her eggs are blue. It’s not like a shell or anything and when I touch her vent area and around her tummy I don’t feel anymore eggs- just an empty feeling cavity. Im at work so I don’t have pictures of the “goo” in question- could it just be her body trying to work out the kinks?

Please, these are my pets and im trying to do right by her and make her comfortable. Im not finding many articles on the after care for a chicken who was bound.

I will be making mash and trying to get her to eat it- if she doesn’t should I force feed her (gently of course)? And should I give another epsome salt bath to ensure all the crud is out of her/to confirm no other egg broke inside her.

I’m trying to find a vet to talk to but there isn’t any vet that will treat/or talk to me about chickens I’m still looking

Im terrified there was a second egg that cracked but I only ever felt the one

Photos of your hen, her poop and the blue goo?

You were given good suggestions on your other thread.
I would get extra calcium into her for a week. Calcium Citrate with D3, 1 tablet daily. You can find this in the vitamin aisle at Walmart, CVS, etc.

Work on getting her hydrated, then see if she will eat for you.

Your other thread is here::
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/post-egg-binding-advice.1621428/

Back
Top Bottom