Hello from TN.

DanielE1990

Crowing
7 Years
Jun 8, 2014
East TN
Hello,

So my name is Daniel I just set up an account on here but have been viewing the sight (and other sites) for a week or two while I made my choice to purchase chickens again. This site has seemed the most helpfull in my research so thats why im here.

So about me. Im a 24 years old and have not had chickens since i was little. back then i had a bunch of mixed whatever chickens. Lol I loved them dearly though and had to let them go because i could not feed and maintain the 40+ chickens. Well now I just ordered (from Ideal poultry) silkie chickens. They should be here around the 30th of the month. I had 2 black silkies before and they where two of my favorite chickens. One would steal the chicks from under my other hens to raise though. I thought it was so funny seeing two chickens sitting on the same nest (the silkie for just two days) and splitting the chicks.

Anyway random memory aside, this time i want to do things in a more adult manner. For one I know now more chickens does not always mean better. I plan on keeping 3-5 out of the 9 i ordered. I ordered the 9 so that hopefully I can get the traits and genders I am looking for. I want to have at least 3 hens with beard and muffs as well as possibly a roo of nice quality so that I can breed if needed or wanted later. As for the extras i will probably give them away to some people I know. I may try eating one as I have found that they are quite different form other chickens when concerning the meat aswell.

That brings me to the next point in my introduction. This is just the first step in my master plan involving chickens lol. I plan on useing the silkies as mothers for another breed/breeds I plan on raising for eggs and meat. This will be a year or two down the line though as i will be building a house and moveing during this time. Less chickens are easier to move and my current space is limited so the 3-5 silkies will be plenty until then. They will be spoiled rotten pets lol. In the ead I plan on having the silkies in a separate coop and run attached to the production coop and run. On the production side I plan on keeping 10-15 chickes for egg and meat production. Not sure on the breeds yet but im looking at orpingtons, black australorps, and speckled sussex. Maybe a combination of two.

Anyway im sure I will have lots of questions for you all as time gets closer to when i get the chicks. But if you have any advice or experance that you think may be helpful to me id be glad to hear it. Either about silkies, keeping a small number of chickens, raising a small number of chicks from day old chicks, coops, food, or anything usefully lol.

Thank you all and I look forward to getting to know some of you and the community.

Hey there, welcome!
I'm also new to keeping chickens and am also in TN. I currently have 4 RI Red pullets that I raised from day old chicks. I built my own coop and currently have my chickens part-time free ranging. No roos because I live in the suburbs.
Anyway good luck, contact me if you need any advice!
From one noob to another,
Elesandchickens

Last edited:
Thanks I am designing my own coop to build aswell. Im trying to make it as easy to clean as possible and easy to transport when I move. Right now im thinking a 4'x4' coop with two next boxes and an attached 4'x4' run that continues under the elevated coop for a total run space of 8'x4'. Im hoping that this will be plenty of room for them as I well not be able to let them free range at all. What do you think? Is that plenty of room for say 5 silkie chickens?

I know silkies are bantams but, the run size seems awfully small considering they won't be free ranging. If your area frequently has inclement weather - where the birds will be kept inside of longer period of time, a bigger coop would be best. Birds that are crowded start pecking, feather pulling and worse.

Hey there.
Just a TN redneck here, I cant say welcome to the site as I joined after you did but just wanted to say hi!

BDBD

Last edited:
quote name="drumstick diva" url="/t/895729/hello-from-tn#post_13632336"]I know silkies are bantams but,  the run size seems awfully small considering they won't be free ranging.  If your area frequently has inclement weather - where the birds will be kept inside of longer period of time, a bigger coop would be best. Birds that are crowded start pecking, feather pulling and worse.
[/quote]

Really on here for the coop it seemed to be recommend 3-4 sqft/ chicken even with standard brees size so I thought 16sqft would be about just right for 3-5 silkie chickens. I was a bit concerned about the run size maybe being too small but i am short on space where i am putting it so i cant go much bigger that that. i was thinking silkies whould probably do well in it though. Do you think it will cause problems being no bigger than it is? I may be able pull a few more sqft out from around but im not sure how much that would help.

images

Welcome to BYC!

The more room the better. Chickens go off on each other easily when hot, cramped, hungry, thirsty, etc...doesn't take much with birds. LOL The recommended amount of space is 4 to 5 square feet per bird on the large breeds. Not sure on the bantams however. Here is a good article in our learning center on space needs for chickens....

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/how-much-room-do-chickens-need

If you need any other tips or hints, you might also stop by our learning center for some good articles on all the aspects of keeping poultry...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

We also have a nice Silkies thread you can join in on and share pics, stories, ask questions, etc....

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/297632/silkie-thread

Enjoy your Silkies! Make yourself at home here on BYC and welcome to our flock!

quote name="TwoCrows" url="/t/895729/hello-from-tn#post_13633123"]
images

Welcome to BYC!

The more room the better. Chickens go off on each other easily when hot, cramped, hungry, thirsty, etc...doesn't take much with birds. LOL  The recommended amount of space is 4 to 5 square feet per bird on the large breeds. Not sure on the bantams however. Here is a good article in our learning center on space needs for chickens....

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/how-much-room-do-chickens-need

If you need any other tips or hints, you might also stop by our learning center for some good articles on all the aspects of keeping poultry...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

We also have a nice Silkies thread you can join in on and share pics, stories, ask questions, etc....

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/297632/silkie-thread

Enjoy your Silkies! Make yourself at home here on BYC and welcome to our flock!
[/quote]

Thanks yeah I found the learning and am leaning how to use it. Lol

Im going to see what I can do with my space I may be able to push it out 2' in both directions on the coop and run.

Thank you all for welcoming me here.

Right now a have a lot of catching up to do lol. I read about water systems on here for 3 hours last night and have anly came to the conclusion I dont know what I want to do lol

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! If I am reading correctly a 4x4 coop and 4x8 run should be OK for 3-5 silkies unless they are giants (silkies do vary quite a bit in size and most hatchery birds are a lot bigger than your average bantam) especially if you take care to keep them entertained. Be sure to check out the tractor section in the Coops for ideas https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/chicken-tractors-mobile-chicken-coop-designs

Back
Top Bottom