Some questions

forgetful

Songster
6 Years
Mar 30, 2013
I have six month old Royal Palm poults. It seems some have much larger snoods than others. Is it possible to sex them at this age? Three barely have any snoods, and three have very prominent snoods. Also, one of the poults will strut around with its feathers puffed up. Is this strictly male behavior? My last question, is one of the poults with a large snood seemed to have had it scalped. Maybe by something pecking it. Should I seperate it? The others aren't pecking at it or anything

Both sexes display. However, those that are likely to be males display without `provocation' for extended periods of time.

Insofar as the `snood' issue? Post some shots.

Thank you for the response and info.

The first picture are the 'large' snoods. The small snoods are half that size. The second picture is a small snood, but the angle makes it difficult to tell.

Sorry for being so impatient. Lol

Edit to add:

^ the poult with the scalped snood

Last edited:
OK, this is guess work (can't really tell for sure for a while): First shot, male. Second shot, female. Third little fella indeterminate (though I'd probably keep an eye on the snood area - if others pick at it try a dab of blu-kote on it).

Thanks! I think the third may be male as well, because it had the largest snood before being injured. I like guessing, but I'll just have to wait a few more months.

Update: I have two males and four females! Turkeys are the hardest animals ever to photograph, by the way.

One of the females:

The two males:

These pictures are a week or so old, so they have more black markings and they all look like they are walking on stilts they've grown so much. Lol

Back
Top Bottom