Light in coop

Heather7

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 10, 2014
How much light do the girls need inside the coop? It's pretty dark in there but not really sure how to get light in since it's covered and shaded. I may need to put a light in it

Chickens do just fine in total darkness. Once they've roosted for the night, they don't move to eat or drink - they sleep. Some people put a very dim light in there so if a predator does get in they can at least see enough to attempt to escape, and some use lights during the short days of winter to keep egg production up. I have a light in my coop but just so I can see to do chores once it starts getting dark earlier, not for the chickens. I plan on letting their bodies rest during winter so reduced egg production in winter is no biggie to me. We also have a yard light which shines a little bit in the coop - just enough so I can see my hand in front of my face but not enough to disturb the chickens. I think it's totally a matter of what you think will work for your particular situation.

Thank you for that. I won't worry too much about it then. They have been out there for a few days and today started going in and out. I think they are good

Chickens have been getting by without electric lights for hundreds of years, so yes they will be fine. However what I do and you might consider if you have power in the coop, is get one or more of those little LED night lights. They are like .5 watts or some ridiculous low number and come on at dusk and off at dawn. I find a couple of those the best comprise for both me and my birds in the coop. Not bright by any means, but enough light to take the edge off of the blackness.

Just my experience and something for you to consider,

RJ

Would that interfere with their sleeping patterns? Because if that could help with egg production during the winter that would be nice.

I have a short string of xmas lights in the rafters and a 13 watt CFL in their protected area. I also have a clock radio i got from Goodwill that plays classical music for them.
They seem to be happy.

Yes the LED light won't effect the sleep nor the laying production at all. They just provide what to me is enough light for everyone, at least in my situation. I don't extend laying hours with light, whatever eggs it costs is ok with me. I don't really sell any eggs, just fewer in the winter to pass along to family and friends. But if you want to do so, that is your choice. I just feel that the natural cycle is more in tune to my style of keeping birds.

On the radio in the coop, as noted above, I have all Rock Chicks, we are playing classic rock 24/7 and I think they enjoy that as well, funny how different flocks have different tastes in music.

Everyone have a safe night, it getting late for me…

RJ

I think my girls are not fond of Opera, either that or they do like it and join in.
I keep the light on for security and so they can see a predator if it gets in. Being in the city, the worst things we get are rabbits, which the cats pretty much keep at bay.

Back
Top Bottom