mallard questions

ecv13

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 8, 2014
Nor cal
I'm relatively new to ducks so most of my questions have been answered by this site. That being said I'm having difficulty answering some questions I have. First my girls were hatched on or near February 24th and wondering why I don't have any eggs yet and wondering how to help them nest (ie. Materials) and last but not least what materials can I or should I use for there enclosure bedding they have all but killed the grass

My mallards didn't start laying until they were about six months old. Also if the temps drop they will stop laying once they start. I have a house for mine that I keep straw or hay in for bedding. The run itself is mostly dirt, as they are mud dabblers and will constantly dig up the ground looking for bugs etc. Do you let them free range during the day?

Thanks for the information and no they spend almost all day every day locked in the pen there isn't much in the way of cover in my yard and way to many cats in the neighborhood

I normally just end up moving the coop every six months or so to give the ground a chance to rest and regrow, also because bacteria can build up if they use the same spot too long. Good luck with your babies :)

Ok new question my girls are laying eggs now .... well one is. I am optimistic that she is fertile couple days ago she was with my father's mallards (male) now the question is if I leave the eggs will she hatch them this late in the year? And when will she start sitting on the eggs?

You can check to see if they are fertile by candling them. Look for any veining. She may sit once she has a few laid in there. Not sure if she will this late or not, depends on how cold it is there. It may be a task to keep the babies warm once they come.

Mine usually lay about 4 then will stop laying, then ill take the eggs and they make a new nest

this goes in only about 4 times with my top egg layers , since the new egg layers give up after the first nest, and each time the egg number varies between 4 and 2 and its in early summer to late spring that it happens for me.

but yes it does depend on the duck

Back
Top Bottom