Young Ducks Throwing a Party at Night...

BoradorBeans

Songster
Jul 20, 2023
Tampa, FL, USA
Our two newest runner ducks (Livvy and Lucy) - 3 months old - are so loud at night, hours after we put them to bed in their enclosure for the night. They are both females and live separately from but still have view of our three older runners (Oliver, Jerry, and Keisha) who are in their own enclosure at night.

Our ducks are weird. Oliver, Jerry, and Keisha are bonded (2 males, 1 female). Jerry and Keisha are inseparable and Oliver just hangs out with them, but he's recently grown fond of Livvy, one of the young ducks. But Livvy nags him ALL THE TIME when they are together during the day, when they have full run of our yard.

I think Livvy starts yelling at him from afar at night (quacking really loudly). Either that or the two young ducks are throwing a party every night around 10-11:30pm.

Does anyone else have this problem with their female ducks being really loud at night? Any tips on how to get them to respect the curfew and just go to sleep? LoL

Livvy and Lucy are hanging out in my living room for the night and are finally quiet.

PS. The lights on their enclosure go off around 9:30pm. Now that I'm posting this, I wonder if the lights, as dim as they are, are messing with their sleep. Hmmm... may have answered my own question here. 🤦‍♀️ Welcome to my life.

Attachments

• 20230904_185133.jpg
    20230904_185133.jpg
    499.8 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG-20230928-WA0010.jpg
    IMG-20230928-WA0010.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 22
I'd cut the light. Try a few nights without them and see if it helps. However, I don't have lights and sometimes hear my ducks squabbling at night. I just assumed they were chewing each other out when one of them moves, or a predator nearby disturbs them. There is normally a half hour or so of noisy squabbling over where to sleep before settling down, too.

When did you put the young runners out? They might be throwing a fit because they want their brooder.
The coop looks pretty with the lights but I don’t know, it could be the cause of their noise making :).
"The littles" as we call them went outside at around 1.5 months old, so they've been out there for just about as long now. I think they just don't like being separated from Oliver (but man, that poor guy needs a break!). I shut the lights off earlier tonight and there's been no harsh words shouted since!

I'd cut the light. Try a few nights without them and see if it helps. However, I don't have lights and sometimes hear my ducks squabbling at night. I just assumed they were chewing each other out when one of them moves, or a predator nearby disturbs them. There is normally a half hour or so of noisy squabbling over where to sleep before settling down, too.
So far (is the first night), cutting the light earlier has worked. No screaming or partying ducks tonight. I liked those lights, though. Bummer 🤣 My attempt at ambiance has failed.

Back
Top Bottom