Duck killed inside pen at night- what killed her?

Pics
Launchpad: "I am dispatching them and then incinerating them. I have fallen under the impression is more humane than relocating them where they'll just be eaten/killed. And disease etc"

About predator management. It's OK to rehab, sometimes relocate, or beef up your defenses and give 'em a pass.

Keep in mind that predator numbers do peak, resulting in a crash, a natural yet cruel correction; via starvation, territorial fighting, disease, increase in *parasites, ect. . That's aside from the fact that eating means killing, at a disproportionate ratio, 1 predator to many prey.

*When predator numbers are high, dens are shared, with some studies reporting that 100% will carry multiple worms, other parasites, and are dying a slow death at a young age.

Choosing to dispatch predators around your homestead is one type of responsible kindness compared to what nature affords.

[👍 canned sardines in oil are ordorific!]

Last edited:
I just found my Female “ Cack” headless, feetless , guts out, such a sad sight and feeling. I was thinking raccoon or possum but now I think weasels. 😥 Thank you for the advice you always have ❤️
I thought that too, but the racoons i was battling were more clever than i had anticipated. Seems to be a common theme with them.
It took a havahart trap with sardines and a game camera to confirm the perpetrators

Launchpad: "I am dispatching them and then incinerating them. I have fallen under the impression is more humane than relocating them where they'll just be eaten/killed. And disease etc"

About predator management. It's OK to rehab, sometimes relocate, or beef up your defenses and give 'em a pass.

Keep in mind that predator numbers do peak, resulting in a crash, a natural yet cruel correction; via starvation, territorial fighting, disease, increase in *parasites, ect. . That's aside from the fact that eating means killing, at a disproportionate ratio, 1 predator to many prey.

*When predator numbers are high, dens are shared, with some studies reporting that 100% will carry multiple worms, other parasites, and are dying a slow death at a young age.

Choosing to dispatch predators around your homestead is one type of responsible kindness compared to what nature affords.

[👍 canned sardines in oil are ordorific!]
Interesting post, thank you
And yes, sardines seem to be highly desirable

Back
Top Bottom