Composting with Chickens

holm25

Jr Chicken Wrangler
9 Years
Apr 6, 2014
MN
I recently decided to take twenty of our CornishX and start composting with them . I didn't want them to eat all the bad stuff in grower so I have them free range in the composte piles during the day . I am quite sure they are getting enough protein from worms and other bug's they find because they have not pecked each other so they bleed . I really want to prove to the people in my family because they think I am crazy . I also want to be self sufficient and try to spend less on feed . They still do get some feed in the evenings but only a little . I also noticed our birds are mush happier so that makes me happy!! Does anyone else do this I really want to know how I could do this better .

Our chickens eat from the compost - it is located just onside the door of their coop. They love the black fly larva that is in there.

I was going to breed these larva on a special container but now I see that I don't have to - they have found the larva themselves and are very happy.

I forgot you should still have feed available for them all the time .

I am excited about adding a compost bin for my chickens to work and play in adjacent to their coop and plan to get it started soon. Got the idea from blogs and past magazine articles. But most are not specific about what is safe to place in their compost access. I don't trust THE GALS to be selective.

I have composted for years and am too lazy to manage the bins / piles/ cans to get usable compost. Hoping chicken power will be the answer to making good compost and entertaining the flock.

I am concerned specifically about adding yard weeds, they are difficult for a novice to identify. For now will add leaves, known safe kitchen and garden wastes.

Thanks for starting thread, hope it gets helpful responses.

Here's some of our girls and guy yesterday, eating the black fly larvae...the coop/run is shown right behind the compost bins...easy to dump the chicken waste into the bins.

Last edited:
Ah, the secret is to have a wonderful husband and son...
wink.png

I really would like to start composting for my raised gardens next year but need a solution that will appease my hubby.. he does not want an open pile like my dad has and does not want to smell it :( Any Ideas?

Back
Top Bottom