New Lower Prices for Kitchen (Lomi-type) Composters this Holiday Season!

gtaus

Crossing the Road
5 Years
Mar 29, 2019
Northern Minnesota
My Coop
My Coop
A while back I posted a thread on the Lomi kitchen composter that was selling for $500.00. Most BYC members said they would rather feed their kitchen scraps and leftovers directly to the chickens. So would I. And I even posted a YouTube video where the CEO of Lomi was interviewed and said that everyone's first choice should be to feed kitchen waste and leftovers to the chickens, but that their Lomi kitchen composter was a good choice for those who don't have a backyard flock, room to build a compost bin outside, are restricted in having compost bins within the city or HOA rules, but would still like to compost at home.

:tongue For years, the kitchen composters like Lomi were stuck at about $500.00.

:clap I just received an email notice from Amazon that there are now a number of Lomi-type kitchen composters that have significantly reduced their price! Check out some of these new options....

1700283757794.png
1700283788001.png
1700283812411.png
1700283860453.png
1700283885624.png
1700283926889.png
1700283981752.png

:eek: Wow! So many new options this year and some that cost $300 less than last year! That is a trend I like to see.

:caf I know there are a few people here on the BYC forums that had the Lomi kitchen composter at $500.00, and it worked great for them. They were very happy with the performance of the machine. If you don't have chickens and/or you have limited options for composting, a kitchen composter might be one of the few options you have. Now you can get into kitchen composting for as little as $200.00 on some of these machines.

🤔 I noticed some of these companies had "used" kitchen composting machines for less than $200.00. I have purchased many "used" item from Amazon and have always been very pleased with the products. Usually, they are just display models or have been unboxed for some other reason. I have saved lots of money buying those "used" products. And, with Amazon, if you don't like the used product, you can still return it. The only caveat I would mention is to take a look at the warranty. If the used product comes with a short return period and warranty, you might be better off spending a little more and getting a new model with full warranty. Since these kitchen composters are electronic devices, I would want the full warranty even on the used item before I bought it. So, check out all your options and find the deal that works for you.

:love I will continue to feed all our kitchen scraps and leftovers to my backyard flock. But I really like to see the trend of these kitchen composter coming down in price opening up new possibilities for those who might want to make compost at home but have limited options.

That's good to know!

It may be of interest to someone here of the BYC forums. I think the price cut of more than half in one year on those kitchen composters is something to note, even if most of us will be feeding our kitchen scraps and leftovers directly to our backyard flock.

I have heard that these kitchen composters are more of a thing in some countries where the city people have to pay for their garbage pickup by the weight or bag. These kitchen composters dehydrate the food waste and eliminate about 90% of the weight and/or bulk.

Ditto for commercial restaurants that get charged for garbage pickup by weight or bulk. Makes sense to remove all that water in the food and reduce your disposal costs. Of course, they would have much bigger commercial composters for a restaurant.

It may be of interest to someone here of the BYC forums. I think the price cut of more than half in one year on those kitchen composters is something to note, even if most of us will be feeding our kitchen scraps and leftovers directly to our backyard flock.

I have heard that these kitchen composters are more of a thing in some countries where the city people have to pay for their garbage pickup by the weight or bag. These kitchen composters dehydrate the food waste and eliminate about 90% of the weight and/or bulk.

Ditto for commercial restaurants that get charged for garbage pickup by weight or bulk. Makes sense to remove all that water in the food and reduce your disposal costs. Of course, they would have much bigger commercial composters for a restaurant.
I'm trying to talk hubby into one. There's a lot chickens don't get...drier lint, coffee grounds, banana peels (we go through a lot of bananas), apple cores, potato peelings, etc. As it is, we have an ice cream bucket on the counter we put that stuff in and when it's full, he hauls it outside to a compost bin. Kind of a PIA. I want one. Santa?

I'm trying to talk hubby into one. There's a lot chickens don't get...drier lint, coffee grounds, banana peels (we go through a lot of bananas), apple cores, potato peelings, etc. As it is, we have an ice cream bucket on the counter we put that stuff in and when it's full, he hauls it outside to a compost bin. Kind of a PIA. I want one. Santa?

I live in northern Minnesota, so I can know that there is no composting going on in the compost bins during winter. Having to haul out a bucket in the deep snow is just a pain. I suppose if you have food stuffs that you cannot feed to the chickens, but would work in the kitchen composter, at least you could be making some compost in the dead of winter.

For many years, those kitchen composters were stuck at $500.00. But I see a number of options now that are less than $200.00 this year. That's a game changer and brings that option into play for more people.

Back
Top Bottom