Duckling coming out not fully developed

laurengeeves

Chirping
6 Years
Jun 28, 2013
England , Kent
My duck eggs are a few days over due, and only 2 have hatched so far, the first one had a small cord still attached to the egg and him, which absorbed the next day, but the second one hasn't absorbed his yet and it's starting to smell, it's got a lump on his bit of the cord which is more red than the other one, and he seems to be struggling, any opinions? Thanks

I would go ahead and remove what's left of the cord. I would also try to get some vitamins and electrolytes down him. Is he eating or drinking? Pics would help.

That's the first duck, which he managed to sort out himself within a day and is 100% fine now, but the other one still has it but the belly bit is a lot redder along with the smell. First chick is eating and drinking but second is obviously stuck in the incubator because he's still attached

This happened with my duck Wobbles. First off you NEED to disinfect the belly button wound. Judging by your photo you can probably snip off the umbilical by now. Rub a bit of neosporin on it with a qtip (not your hands!) and make sure the area is clean. Then, get an eyedropper and mix a quart of water with one crushed B complex pill or niacin pill and some sugar. Then make sure he gets at least a tiny bit into his mouth. I'd do it ASAP since it sounds like he's already starting to get an infection.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom