Dumpling the Duckling

MotherDumpling

In the Brooder
Jul 22, 2023
Hi there,
So this is my first post and question (besides the introduction when i became a new member). Let me give you a bit of back ground before i ask my question.

On June 30th 2023, I went to go check on my broody duck Winnie, she’s a crested duck (has the little Afro’s) Like to note I have three ducks, two female 1 male, the other two are mallards and Winnie had been sitting on Jewels eggs as well. She had been discarding eggs that is rotting or didn’t make it in development. I know a lot of people prefer incubations, I prefer the good old fashion method and letting mama’s do their work. Any way, I’ve always gotten rid of the eggs so they don’t end up stinking their coop. Well this last one i noticed was cracked, but from the inside out, i figured it was trying to hatch so i left it alone. However, Winnie is adamant about getting rid of the egg by pushing it out of the nest and coop. I pick it up and tap it, hoping that there was still life in there and I’d just take it and incubate it until they came out. Well there was no sound or any attempts of trying to come out after a couple of hours, I figured it was gone and out of curiosity decided to open it to see how far it developed.
Upon opening it however enough to see the bill and face, I realized the duckling was in fact still alive as it took struggled breaths. I even tried at this point to show Winnie that duckling was alive, but she attacked it so. I did my research and decided to take care of the duckling and just to pull back the eggshell enough to where they could get air. I got a towel and a heating pad so where they could stay warm and finish coming out. However, i knew these next few hours were crucial. They made no other attempts of coming out and their breathing became struggled. So i decided to gently remove them from the egg, that’s when i noticed they were premature. The yolk sack was still very much visible, but everything was detached from the egg. Over the next couple of days I took “dumpling” everywhere, even if it was to the store. On the second day I could see “she” was gathering some strength and was even eating some sugar water (similar to hummingbird food). By the third day the yolk sack was completely absorbed and the umbilical cord fell off.

You probably guessed it but Dumpling imprinted on me, which was fine, I took her every where i went for the first several weeks, gave her a diet of ground up oats, niacin, watermelon romaine lettuce, kale, crickets and fly larvae. And she’s been thriving; Eating, drinking, vocal, active and everything functions the way it should, meaning she’s pooping well.

I have noticed however since she hatched, she’s had a bald spot on the back of her head that’s noticeable when she’s wet and that she seems to be scratching a lot, i spray her with mites and flea spray (safe for ducklings). I’ve been giving her regular water play time/baths with warm water to help ease her itchiness. Now that she is just about 4 weeks old, she should be getting feathers and her fluff has been coming off but it’s almost like she’s bald, with little feathers. I haven’t found anything other than molting, but i don’t think ducklings molt unless it’s to get their feathers. Has anyone else had this problem?

Attachments

• 70983221726__4C1B3F5D-3F35-4AE4-B3C6-29C613F413B8.jpeg
    70983221726__4C1B3F5D-3F35-4AE4-B3C6-29C613F413B8.jpeg
    675.8 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_0661.jpeg
    IMG_0661.jpeg
    403.4 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0723.jpeg
    IMG_0723.jpeg
    499.7 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0963.jpeg
    IMG_0963.jpeg
    539.4 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0967.jpeg
    IMG_0967.jpeg
    459.8 KB · Views: 16
I had a duckling that developed a tiny bald spot - turned out to be nothing and was short lived - her feathers grew in just fine. Good luck with your girl and hope you can reunite mother and baby so she has some duck company. So nice that you were able to save her!
Okay that’s a relief, I just hope she grows her feathers.
I’ve been taking her outside to introduce her to the others. Winnie still wants nothing to do with her, but Flocker (My drake) and Jewel (my mallard female) seem to have taken an interest in her. I’m still protective of her to make sure they aren’t going to attack her, but she also sticks pretty close to me though she’s pretty curious herself.

Back
Top Bottom