Drakes or hens?

quackydoodle

Songster
7 Years
Apr 29, 2014
Rigby, ID
I have 3 6-week-old ducks. I'm wondering of you can help me figure out their sex. I think i have 2 drakes and 1 hen. The 'drakes' have a green sheen on their heads, and their bills have a blue tinge. They also chirp and squeak constantly, but I've never heard them quack. The 'hen' has a mottled tan head, 'her' bill is more yellow, and 'she' quacks all the time. What do you guys think?

I think you'll have to wait for 100% certainty. I have had females with that green sheen in their heads as well as females with the greenish colored bills. So hard to tell early on!

I'm no good at tellling the gender until it is OBVIOUS lol but I am fairly certain we have one mallard drake and one mallard hen....our drake is starting to get green on the sides of his head and getting more and more gray in his wings. His chest is becoming more of a coppery color.

Both of them a few weeks ago

everyone says you can tell from their sounds...and a lot of the time ours make different sounds but other times they sound very similar haha but now that his head is starting to turn green (I never noticed a "sheen" before on him) I am beginning to become convinced

anyway Following because I'm really interested in learning more on how to tell :D

Back
Top Bottom