Ducklings growing exponentially!

Jun 7, 2023
My duck, Matilda, hatched 8 eggs back on July 10th. The drake is a Pekin and the various contributing moms are Pekin, Silver Appleyard and Welsh Harlequin. So now they are FOUR weeks old and they aren't little anymore. Three are definitely pure Pekin, and the other 5 are.... Appleyard? They are Big and sporting various tufts of feathers and patterns that seem more Appleyard than Harlequin. I'm kind of jumping the gun and trying to figure out who is a boy and who's a girl. The Pekins will sort out in the next few weeks with quack and curly tails, but the patterned ducks??? For now I'm going by bill color. The drakest black and brown patterned duckling has a very yellowish bill. One of my favorites but I fear he is a boy. The other four have lighter grey patterning and bills that range from yellowish green to green/gray and I am thinking these are all girls.
Would love to hear what you all think/guess. They are starting to sort of quack a little but nothing definitive. (Maybe I should pick them up and see how loud they quack? Tho mostly they still whistle and peep.)

Attachments

• IMG_20230709_073050_1.jpg
    IMG_20230709_073050_1.jpg
    738.9 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_1945.JPG
    IMG_1945.JPG
    782.2 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_1955.JPG
    IMG_1955.JPG
    809.7 KB · Views: 33
They are nice ducks to be around, and they lay well. I am selling 4 to a friend and *might* keep the rest. The babies are still skittish but my older ducks know who brings the treats and eat out of my hand. Favorite foods : tomatoes, Japanese beetle and earthworms, yum.

My duck, Matilda, hatched 8 eggs back on July 10th. The drake is a Pekin and the various contributing moms are Pekin, Silver Appleyard and Welsh Harlequin. So now they are FOUR weeks old and they aren't little anymore. Three are definitely pure Pekin, and the other 5 are.... Appleyard? They are Big and sporting various tufts of feathers and patterns that seem more Appleyard than Harlequin. I'm kind of jumping the gun and trying to figure out who is a boy and who's a girl. The Pekins will sort out in the next few weeks with quack and curly tails, but the patterned ducks??? For now I'm going by bill color. The drakest black and brown patterned duckling has a very yellowish bill. One of my favorites but I fear he is a boy. The other four have lighter grey patterning and bills that range from yellowish green to green/gray and I am thinking these are all girls.
Would love to hear what you all think/guess. They are starting to sort of quack a little but nothing definitive. (Maybe I should pick them up and see how loud they quack? Tho mostly they still whistle and peep.)
what sweet photos!

Back
Top Bottom