New to chickens

CharterChick

Songster
5 Years
Jul 21, 2014
Aberdeen, WA
My Coop
My Coop
Hello all! I'm new to this site and chickens. We had some when I was little and now we have the room for our own. I've had chicks in my garage for three weeks, 15 eggs in the incubator (2 have hatched),

and just finished building my tractor coop yesterday. I put a few hens and a rooster in there that my dad gave me.
[/IMG]

I'm not sure what kinds of chickens I have yet. I know most are mixes but I know there is a barred rock and a silver laced Wyandotte in there! I'm still learning :) my 8 year old bought herself a silver lace Wyandotte and a lakenvelder.

Last edited:
Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

What an adorable flock you have! Good luck with the hatch enjoy all your poultry adventures!

Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. Looking at pictures of your adult birds, you have (from left to right) a Black Australorp, Barred Rock, Black Australorp, a Wyandotte mix of some kind, can't see the next two (too much out of the pic), and a Rhode Island Red rooster (in the picture on the far right). These are all hardy, dependable breeds. Good luck with your flock.

Thank you all and I'll try to get better pictures of the girls. They move too fast for pictures! We have 5/15 in the incubator now :) one I don't think will make it though it's head/neck doesn't seem to straighten out at all. Like it's stuck back by its wing. I'm hoping it'll sort itself out but I'm going to search the forums for similar quirks.

Well it looks exactly like wry neck. I took the chick out and it's neck is like it's stuck and it keeps rolling to its back. :,( I think I may have to cull it. This is the first chick with issues for me. So this won't be easy. I've looked at all the possible fixes but it already can't even stand. :( I'm going to go do this now while my daughter is sleeping. I've decided on the scissor method. I don't think I could do the starter fluid one. :(

After looking all different things I thought maybe I'll wait and see if it works itself out but it ended up flipping over onto its back and not flipping back over and it was just sitting there breathing very weird and labored. So I culled it and then cried all night. :( rip little chick :(

Good note though no one else looks to have any problems and we are up to 7 now :)

Back
Top Bottom