mixing rolled barley and rolled corn into my feed, what else can i add?

unclejohn

Chirping
5 Years
Mar 4, 2014
So I have been mixing barley and corn into my layer feed to save some money.

I have ten laying hens and i get a good amount of eggs, the last three days i got 7, 8 and 10 today.

I'm in Canada and i buy the complete layer feed which is 15.20 a bag. i buy the barley and corn at 9 dollars a bag each. the chickens love it and eat it right up. They were free ranging all day before but i was starting to get only 5 or 6 eggs a day ( i think they were starting to lay eggs in the bush) and so now i keep them in the coop until about 1pm and let them free range until they come in at night, which is usually around 8pm.

What else can i buy to mix into my food to save on money? and also, is barely and rolled corn good for them?

At 15% protein you really shouldn't be adding to much corn or barley to your feed, there just going to drop your protein way down and you should soak the barley overnight so that your chicken can process it a little better.

As for cutting feed cost, other than free ranging and hoping for the best there not much that you can add that won't cost you or drop the protein down.

Back
Top Bottom