naughty bullies

macsmommy

Hatching
5 Years
Jun 3, 2014
I have a flock of 8 mommies, four babies (aged 8 weeks) and a rooster. A week ago I introduced a lovely pair of silkies, aged 12 weeks. The pair of silkies are terrified of leaving the hen house and are chased away from treats and not allowed to forage about by most of the other hens. Three in particular are constantly on guard and actively seek out the silkies to bully them. Every day I forcibly put the silkies outside and close the hen house so they cannot return in order to get them some daylight, fresh air and in a bid to get the pecking order sorted. Has anyone any advice on how long this may take? I am loathe to start the separation malarkey at this stage ! On a more positive note, for the last two nights the silkies have been 'allowed' to sleep on the roost with all the other gals, rather than on the ground. Could things possibly be getting better?!

Yes.The hens are just getting to know them more.The pecking order is being sorted.when you throw the silkies outside you need to give them scratch or something interesting.this way their focused on that not the newbies.Are the hens older?Are they hatching?If so the hens are more dominate.And the hens may be protective over the babies.They do both pecking order while defending the babies.Im pretty sure things will come threw stop stopping the fights.It will get worser if you do.And last longer.Hope I helped!

Welcome to BYC
frow.gif
Sometimes it takes a long time for them to leave them alone, sometimes very quickly. But I think the other chickens letting the silkies sleep with them is a good sign. Good Luck!

I have a flock of 17 RIR and leg horns with one rooster I got 6 astralops weeks later and only had two hens they been in the barn in separate pins only separated by chicken wire I noticed the roosters picking on them so I tryed putting them with the other hens turned out to be a mistake they got pecked up by the flock dose this mean I wont be able to add to it? And now is there anything I can do for the injured hens or will they heal on there own I took them out and put them back in the other pin

Back
Top Bottom