Microflock Integration Issues

chooky_2_shoes

In the Brooder
Dec 3, 2023
Hello!

First time poster as a chicken newbie, seeking some advice about integration on a very small scale.

Long story short, after raising a few bantam chicks (roosters...), ended up with a single, small Belgian D'uccle pullet (Nym) - 4 months old. Definitely needed to get her some friends, as she was pacing constantly and lonely. I got 2 Pekin Bantams (1 yr old black hen who is the boss and 10 months old mottled hen who is 2IC). Quarantined the new girls and they seemed healthy. Then a week of look-don't-touch through the mesh of the coop.

Introductions so far haven't gone swimmingly. Belgian is being hunted and chased off the food and water pretty much constantly, and she's taken to perching on the feeder up high all day. Tried adding more feeder/watering stations and she's being chased off them too (with no provocation). Tried adding some treats for distractions to amuse the Pekins, but not enough. I expected the little Belgian to be the bottom of the pecking order, but she still does need to be allowed to eat/drink. Coop+run is 3.8m2 and have added/taken away various bits of clutter to try and create vertical space/obstacles. Also planning on a tractor for the lawn for some more roaming space but still in the works. Won't be able to free range them due to local birds of prey.

Current situation is 2IC is in brooder box temporary jail (she was being more aggressive than the boss hen, so thought I'd even the playing field a bit) but it's now been 2 weeks of musical chickens and I don't think I'm winning.

Options are
1. Keep trying/alternative approach (any advice is much appreciated!).
2. Rehome the Pekins (they're laying and pretty, they should be easy to move on) and get a new Belgian pullet or two and try again (which could prove difficult, I'm in Australia and it's hard to get hands on very specific breeds/ages sometimes).
3. Rehome the Belgian to someone with just Belgians (for some size equality, she is very little) but she may continue to get bullied. Keep the Pekins. I'd feel sad about this though, she's the only one left from my original 4 chicks and she's very sweet.

TIA

Coop+run is 3.8m2 and have added/taken away various bits of clutter to try and create vertical space/obstacles.
Coop is not separate from run?
Some pics would help here.

Oh, and.... Welcome to BYC! @chooky_2_shoes
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1701688604658.png

Rehoming and getting new birds will just have you starting the process again. Removing birds can even be like restarting again. The multiple feeders/waters can not be in sight of each other in this situation where the resources are being guarded.
Leaving them together is the only way they can work it out. You can not do it for them. You need to let them be chickens which means there might be some scuffling. If you are concerned about how much food/water the D'uccle is getting a little hand feeding might help. These things take time. Is there anyway to give them more space? It would help. Picture of space might give ideas of how to work with what you have.

A (very!) belated update but in the end -

- Re-homed the Pekins to a friend's bigger mixed flock and they're doing very well (they're not the biggest chooks in the flock anymore!)

- Got two new d'Uccle pullets and everyone here is getting along great. Happily sharing treats, pottering around together and everyone can eat/drink with no dramas.

Thanks for the advice! :D

Back
Top Bottom