What can i use to wash dirt of my silkies before showing them?

You can wash Silkies before a show mostly the way you would wash any chicken. Get three tubs, large enough to partially submerge your birds. Fill all of the tubs with 85-95 degree water. Then, add some mild soap (baby shampoo, dog shampoo, etc.) to the first tub and 1/4 cup of vinegar to the third tub. Keep the second tub plain--this will be the main rinsing tub. Along with the tubs, assemble some towels for drying and a cup for pouring water over the birds while washing. If possible, you should also set up a clean area (not their usual coop) that the Silkies can stay in as they dry.

Once everything is ready, you can begin the washing procedure. Take each bird, in turn, and move it through the tubs. Thoroughly get their feathers wet with the soapy water, but be careful not to damage the feathers (don't rub backwards). If there are any particularly stubborn stains, apply soap directly from the bottle and rub in well. Rinse each bird the best you can in the plain water tub, then let them sit in the vinegar water for a minute or so. The vinegar will help remove any remaining soap and kill any mites/lice on them. Dry them off by patting dry with a towel. You do not need to/can not get them completely dry with a towel, but they will dry perfectly fine on their own. Some people do use a hair dryer, set on low, but in my experience this can dry out the feathers/skin.

Hope this helps!

Back
Top Bottom