Checking-In On Peeps - Post Here To Say Hello!

Pics
We have such a vibrant community here at BYC... tons of active friendly members. Of course, life gets busy, so I was thinking it would be fun to start a thread welcoming some of our peeps we haven't heard from in a while.

If that's you, come say hello and let us know what you've been up to. :)

(if that's not you, feel free to invite peeps you haven't seen in a while and say hi to those that post here)
Ok, Ya got me...It's been a while since I've had a chance to check in here. Life tends to develop quickly.

Still have chicks, back down to 5 though...was a strong hawk season last year I guess. Hoping to pick up 5 more Lavender Orps next week though. If it works out will post some pix of the kids. :)

We have such a vibrant community here at BYC... tons of active friendly members. Of course, life gets busy, so I was thinking it would be fun to start a thread welcoming some of our peeps we haven't heard from in a while.

(if that's not you, feel free to invite peeps you haven't seen in a while and say hi to those that post here)

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m sorry for your losses, I feel ya my favorite silver laced wyandotte liked to sleep on top of her coop and a possum came and ate her head off 😭 I wasn’t preoared for that, but now I know!
This is girlygirlsmom and haven't posted in a while. My 8 girls have been reduced to 7; had a spontaneous death of one of my Sussex, Dot, a favorite. Was well and active one moment and dropped dead the next. Was very upset; was no warning. Came out in the yard with her sisters and in moments dropped dead. All others well and active since this happened about 7 months ago.
Have really enjoyed them all. Very tame, follows us around talking and most of them enjoy sitting on laps and talking.
Went through a hard molt in October, feathers everywhere, no eggs, actually seemed to lose weight, weren't eating as well. Lasted through most of December. Finally made it through and laying lots of eggs.
I still have coffee grounds in their nest box but sand on the coop floor and in the run. The run opens into a 45 foot yard protected with chicken wire and mesh. They love it. Hawks soon learned not to bother.
In the low teens this winter I used a oil filled heater to keep the temp around high 20's, low 30's. Have good ventilation in coop and had no problems.
Had on instance of crop problem with one hen, isolated her, did massage several times a day and got her through it. Another injured her toe, got infected and toenail and part of toe fell off. After soaking her foot, giving antibiotic, applying a dressing it was not healing so I took her to a livestock vet. She put her on Baytril and finally the wound closed over and healed. Elsie was a trooper through the whole thing and is well and healthy today albeit missing the better part of her toe.
My girls are such a blessing, so relaxing to interact with them. I ferment their feed, they love dandelions, marigolds, sprouts that I grow. They are a little over 2 years old now.
I am now allowing them some time in the big yard for about an hour since the family of hawks have moved on. I think they got into a huge carfuffle with the many crows around here and left.
Hope everyone is doing well.

We've got 3 hens, thought about getting more this year ... probably big-bodied good layers such as Buff Orpingtons ... but with our new house getting finished up and moving in, we decided to wait until next year ... and build a bigger, nicer, coop and run (lots of hawks here, so the fenced-in run is necessary, including being enclosed by fencing on top)...

Good morning!

I appreciate the check in! All I can say is...it's been a year...

Lots of major life changes (some good, some bad), and now I am in the process of moving. Unfortunately, my feathered babies won't be able to come with me...BUT the buyers of my place are going to keep them (and turn the 16 acres into a mini farm) and I am confident they will be well cared for.

I have appreciated this community SO much over the last few years. I hope to one day be a Chicken Momma again, but for now, I'll just content myself with seeing all of your wonderful stories and pictures. 💕

Hi chicken peeps!!
We've been busy homeschooling and adding to our little farm (Angora bunnies!) But our chickens are thriving and loving life. Still pooping on our porch and trying to get in our house, but we love them anyway 😆 We recently spring cleaned the coop and repainted the framing. Next I just need to do some maintenance on my auto watering system and rain barrels!

Hi All! Sorry I have been absent. Remember those 2 chicks I posted about last year that my hen sat and started hatching out? Well they were both hens and hatched out 5 chicks on February 29th! I'm up to a total of 23 chickens now! I also have been busy caring for my family of 8- 4 grandkids, 2 adult working children, my husband and of course myself. I can't leave out the 3 dogs, now 2 :( , 4 cats and Gizmo (he's a Goffin's Cockatoo). sorry I don't have pictures, as they are on my phone and I am on my computer. I'll check in more often!

Hey all! Well we just got 4 new chicks yesterday so we can eventually add them to our 3 big girls. We got an Arctic Blue Egger (does anyone have a pic of what the chicks look like - I’ve been skeptical if they gave me the right one!), Black Copper Maran, Easter Egger, and a Blue Australorp. We already have 2 olive eggers and 1 Welbar. We’re excited, our girls are like our pets!

Thank you for reaching out! Life got super busy and we moved from in town to a farm! My sister took my ducks into her big flock. We thought we would take them back when we moves, but they are super happy in her big flock.

So we started over with chickens! The house we bought came with a half decent chicken run that we have slowly been making changes to. My kids are in heaven and we are loving the chickens! I will have to get a more updated pic as they are much bigger now 😁
20240223_162843.jpg

Back
Top Bottom