Duckling Question

TheEggCollecter

Songster
5 Years
Feb 16, 2014
Massachusettes
So I am new to ducks and I have pretty much got most of my questions answered about my for cayuga ducklings. Although, I was wondering when is it okay to take the heat lamp off the babies and let them outside. With my chicks once they are all feathered out I kick them out of the brooder but I am not sure how it works with ducklings. Thanks in advance!

Most people follow the rule of 90 degrees the first week of their life then reduce by 5 each week until the duck is fully feathered. Even though they seem warm with all that fluff they still need to be kept in high temperatures

Feathers usually start coming out of the top of their head, chest, and wing areas to start, then just spread from there. On mine the last place to feather was the back of their necks. Once they're fully feathered it's fine to take the heat lamp off them and kick them out and into their own house.

I dunno how fact chickens feather, but after you notice the ducks' wings starting to get pin feathers, it'll be about 2-3 weeks until they're done

Last edited:
Feathers usually start coming out of the top of their head, chest, and wing areas to start, then just spread from there. On mine the last place to feather was the back of their necks. Once they're fully feathered it's fine to take the heat lamp off them and kick them out and into their own house.

I dunno how fact chickens feather, but after you notice the ducks' wings starting to get pin feathers, it'll be about 2-3 weeks until they're done
Okay, great! thank you so much!

Back
Top Bottom