New Member Intro

neopets3010

Hatching
5 Years
Jul 27, 2014
Hi all,

My name is Robyn, and I love eggs!

We use to have chickens when I was younger (3x Isla) and I missed have the scrap devouring, egg producing flightless birds so 2 Easters ago when city farmers had some month olds for sale I decided to reintroduce myself to the hobby farming lifestyle. I got 3 islas (remembering about the hierarchy thing they need) and set them up under some lamps in a rabbit hutch I had.

Fast forward through many good omelettes and quiches, and I find myself down 2 out of the 3 (they were explorers and never came home one day despite us chicken proofing the yard). I now have decided to get lots more chickens as we have a huge amount of space for them, and everyone always loves the farm fresh eggs from suburbia.

My plan is to have 8 Leghorns, 5 Araucanas (for the amazingly different eggs), and 5 Australorps. I would love some ducks thrown in but will save that until we have a more rural location.

Being winter I am not jumping right into setting them all up. But I am working on setting up new nesting boxes and will soon be collecting the Australorps from a local breeder. I would also like to set up a veggie patch for them.

That is my story for now,
Thanks to those who read it :)

-Robyn

Welcome to BYC, Robyn! Glad you decided to join our flock. I like eggs to and my flock is now devoted totally to layers. I have 7 Black Australorps myself; wonderful birds, very hardy, calm and gentle, and the best layers of the standard brown egg breeds. I also have seven Araucanas (actually ours are Easter Eggers as true Araucanas are tailless and lay only blue eggs). They are my granddaughter's favorite chickens as she loves the different colored eggs the Easter Eggers lay. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck in getting your flock and setting up your vegetable patch.

Thanks Michael for the kind welcome. I would love to get a hold of some easter eggers for the coloured eggs. Such a novelty!

Looking forward to everything I can learn

Welcome to BYC
frow.gif
You have picked some very nice breeds and will get plenty eggs from those ladies, I promise you. Australorps are great layers, as are Leghorns. The EE's are fair layers, but those eggs are so pretty. It will be a hit over Easter! Have you seen BCM eggs? Those are amazing. Look at the one on the lower right here:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/g/...led-stippled-chicken-eggs/sort/display_order/

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

You will love your Aussies....great layers, docile, friendly and very hardy. Good luck with your entire flock and welcome to ours!

Welcome to BYC, Robyn! Glad you decided to join our flock. I like eggs to and my flock is now devoted totally to layers. I have 7 Black Australorps myself; wonderful birds, very hardy, calm and gentle, and the best layers of the standard brown egg breeds.

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

You will love your Aussies....great layers, docile, friendly and very hardy. Good luck with your entire flock and welcome to ours!

I tell you, I have been sold 1000X over on BA as the next birds I need to add to my little flock just from what I've read here in all the various posts about them -- I believe they may be the chicks I add next spring in advance of the anticipated layoff by my current flock as they come into that pesky fall molt.

I tell you, I have been sold 1000X over on BA as the next birds I need to add to my little flock just from what I've read here in all the various posts about them -- I believe they may be the chicks I add next spring in advance of the anticipated layoff by my current flock as they come into that pesky fall molt.
Obviously not everyone agrees or everyone would have BAs (and it would probably be a boring world if everyone agreed on everything). :eek:) But I think they are the best, all-around, dual purpose chickens on the planet. I know that TwoCrows loves them as well (as do a lot of other chicken farmers).

Back
Top Bottom