help with advice on hatching under broody sharing

arikli

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 27, 2014
wichita
I did not know how to title this but I had chicks starting to hatch Monday night under one of my broody and she has left two in the still chirping and peeping and she has no intentions on sitting them out so is it OK to put it under my frizzle who decided to go broody today because it is driving her nuts to see her besty hatch eggs. And is it OK if I just move my frizzle in that box so they can raise the chicks together or am I wishful thinking.

I am not particularly familiar with frizzles, but with most chickens, I believe it takes more than a day of being broody to accept chicks. If you want to put them under her to get them hatched, then take them out right away (if you have time to sit there and wait while they're hatching), it might work. If you did that, or put them in an incubator to hatch them, you could probably slip them back under the first hen at night and have her raise them. I just don't see it working to have a hen that's been broody for a day to hatch and raise them.

My frizzle was hovering over wanting those babies she took in those eggs and seems to be sharing the motherhood now with her best friend. I will be watching to see if anything changes so I can do the switch if needed. Thankyou

I had two broody's sitting eggs a week apart, in different locations, the first few days after the last hen hatched her eggs was alittle tense and the older hen didn't want the younger hen and chicks nowhere near her brood but the little hen was persistent that the older hen help her and now they brood them all together, finding tidbits for each others chicks, roosting together .. Its so fun to watch the little hen and her chicks follow the older hen about... She couldn't have a better teacher!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom