How long to give/when to candle an egg under a broody?

Maybe you have to accept the chick was not strong enough to hatch. The mamma did leave the nest, she gave up trying.

If you want to persist in trying?… You can put it under the other hen and see what happens. If the chick hatches, is alive and kicking there are 2 options:
  • Put the chick back under the new mamma in the night if it can walk around with the other chick. Look early morning at sunrise if the chick is accepted.
  • Leave the chick with the new mama and throw the eggs of the second mamma away in s few days if you are sure the chick survives.
Things like this happen. And chances are the chick will never grow strong and healthy. 😢

We filled a water bottle with warm water and put the egg on it, along with a cup of warm water for humidity and then a plastic Tupperware container over the top. It’s still breathing and cheeping.

Attachments

• DE98FEAD-87B2-45E5-899F-B0B8F44FAD7E.jpeg
    DE98FEAD-87B2-45E5-899F-B0B8F44FAD7E.jpeg
    242.2 KB · Views: 5
I made another thread but thought I would update here as well.

I ended up helping the chick hatch after most of the veins had gone and it was making thrusting motions with its head. The umbilical cord is still attached to chick and eggshell with a red vein going through it. The chick is lying sprawled on its stomach with eyes closed. Every so often tries to push itself up without success.

Attachments

• 205E3150-7ADE-4A83-BB0F-990168EC0104.jpeg
    205E3150-7ADE-4A83-BB0F-990168EC0104.jpeg
    197.4 KB · Views: 5

Back
Top Bottom