Second turkey sick with something...

alibond

Chirping
13 Years
May 26, 2008
Hi!

I bought 4 Narraganset turkey's back in April from the feed store. I was hoping for heritage turkeys that I could keep for a few years. Now I'm thinking they might be BBs.

Anyway, about a month ago one hen started swelling in her feet. Not bumble, changed feed, soaked, wrapped, massaged. Nothing worked and she was in pain, so I culled her. Then three days ago the tom started laying down. His feet aren't swollen, but he doesn't have any balance. His appetite is good, he's alert. I don't know what his poo is supposed to look like. It looks like a puffball .

Any ideas?

No, I don't think it's anything with the legs and he doesn't seem obese. When I get him up and help him walk he can, he just doesn't have any balance.

Hi!

I bought 4 Narraganset turkey's back in April from the feed store. I was hoping for heritage turkeys that I could keep for a few years. Now I'm thinking they might be BBs.

Anyway, about a month ago one hen started swelling in her feet. Not bumble, changed feed, soaked, wrapped, massaged. Nothing worked and she was in pain, so I culled her. Then three days ago the tom started laying down. His feet aren't swollen, but he doesn't have any balance. His appetite is good, he's alert. I don't know what his poo is supposed to look like. It looks like a puffball .

Any ideas?
Can you post a picture of his poop? His poop should look like chicken, just bigger.

-Kathy

Swelling usually indicates an injury. So let's start there. I know my turkeys like to roost on the tallest thing possible, so what's the distance from where he roosts to where he can land? And is that landing area soft? It should be. You don't want a 25 pound bird with long, skinny legs landing on a bunch of rocks, or even gravel for that matter. They could easily twist something, or even tear a tendon.
Are his legs warm to the touch? Heat or warmth emitting from a certain area usually indicates an infection of some kind. If his legs and/or feet are warm, have you inspected them closely for any cuts, scraps, abrasions or ports of entry that might have let some harmful bacteria creep into his feet/legs?

Back
Top Bottom