Quail housing plans

hannahmcbain12

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 18, 2013
Rhode Island
Hi everybody!
I have a few quail (60 or more)... And now I need to make a new pen or house or something for them. I have them in hutches that don't have a drop down bottom to let the poop out, so now that's no longer a great idea since they are laying eggs. What do you guys use for quail housing or pens? Pictures would be much appreciated!

You can still use your hutch design. Just put a wire bottom on it that slopes to the front. It doesn't need to be a big slope. Maybe a inch over several feet. Poop falls through...eggs won't. Mine use 1"x1/2" wire. But you have to be mindful of how you lay the wire. One way the egg rolls. One way it doesn't. Think of the wire one way making a valley or trough. The other way makes it like a washboard(they won't roll).

The problem I have when I have a lot of quail in one cage and the eggs don't get out of the way is broken eggs. They hop around and step on them when breeding. I'll get one or two cracked eggs out of each breeder section (7 birds)

The forum has a whole section called coops/runs/cages that has many thousands of pictures to browse through. I've seen this same type of thread dozens of times and they don't usually get much traffic, so if you really want to see whats available use advanced search. Not trying to be rude but you'll only get a few posting here whereas if you search you'll get to see hundreds if not thousands of coop ideas.

Back
Top Bottom