Sudden duck death

patch652

In the Brooder
5 Years
Feb 26, 2014
Newton Aycliffe
I had 4 ducks 3 indian runner, Donald and daisy parents) who are about 18 month - 2 years old and eggy (their baby ) 3 months old, and 1 Aylesbury called little gem who was hatched with eggy. They all live in the garden together, eat the same drink from the same trays splash in the same pool,..... When I have gone out to put them to bed tonight I have found daisy dead in the garden! There's no sign of attack she was just lying stretched out. She has been healthy up to this point eats a good mixed diet, fruit, layers pellet, wheat, growers pellets oyster shell, she drops an egg every day never misses a day ..... Any ideas what could cause it ? Should I be worried about the other 3???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The way to know what happened is to keep her body cool - like refrigerator temperature, and get her to a lab that does necropsies.

I have taken two deceased ducks to our state ag college veterinary pathology lab to find out what they died of.

It might be something contagious, but it could be peritonitis (internal infection), stroke, heart attack, congenital defect, injury . . . .

Very sad for your loss.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom