i need ideas for more protien for ducks

Jenbirdee

Expecting Miracles
Premium Feather Member
Aug 9, 2020
Maryland
i’m trying to give a protien rich snack to one of my runner ducks, who is molting and has been eating feathers and choking on them . she does not like scrambled eggs. She likes mealworms so I gave her some of them. Her regular feed is Mazuri waterfowl feed maintenance. She also eats Nutura nature wise, all flock pellets. If I add a higher level protein feed to the feed, then all my ducks and chickens will be eating it too .

While mostly a vegetative diet, in the wild, they will also eat mosquitos and larvae, snails, crustaceans, insects and small fish.
Probably the easiest thing other than the mealworms or crickets, would be a can of mackerel. It is a high quality protein but much cheaper than tuna ounce for ounce.

While mostly a vegetative diet, in the wild, they will also eat mosquitos and larvae, snails, crustaceans, insects and small fish.
Probably the easiest thing other than the mealworms or crickets, would be a can of mackerel. It is a high quality protein but much cheaper than tuna ounce for ounce.
options are mackerel in olive oil or in brine what if i get the olive oil ones and rinse them off ?

Live fish is better than processed. It's pure protein without the additives of processed sources.

Or buy a fish from the seafood counter, cut it up to the right size and give her that freeze the rest. Doesn't have to be expensive fish just fresh as possible.

I currently have a can of mackerel in the pantry. There is no processing, Just a hunk of fish in brine meaning water and salt. The amount of salt is negligible when considering, they aren't drinking the water, they are just nibbling the fish and mostly eating other things. And they aren't eating it every day. At least I hope not.

i’m trying to give a protien rich snack to one of my runner ducks, who is molting and has been eating feathers and choking on them . she does not like scrambled eggs. She likes mealworms so I gave her some of them. Her regular feed is Mazuri waterfowl feed maintenance. She also eats Nutura nature wise, all flock pellets. If I add a higher level protein feed to the feed, then all my ducks and chickens will be eating it too .
Hey! Give them frozen peas, lettuce, baby carrots, and corn pieces or corn on the cob! Hope this helps

Back
Top Bottom