they're not eating!!!!!

maytham

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 7, 2014
dubai
i got two turkeys a few days ago, a female and male, about 9 months old, and they're not eating! its especially worrying in this hot weather of Dubai. I'm getting really frustrated with them because i feel like they're gonna die. i had chicken before and they ate a lot more. i tried giving the turkey some of that mixed grains food, apples, banana, berries, fish (all of which were the chicken's favorite food).
however, they're not acting weak, their poop is OK, and they're kinda active, like the tom enjoys sitting under the water tap for a long shower in this heat! their water intake is quite low Ive noticed but their poop is kinda watery.
please help its driving me crazy!! they're eating a lot less then my chicken!

Have you seen them walking around at all? They may be grazing on grass. I've heard of offering watermelon and soaked/sprouted feeds to make sure that they are getting sufficient water intake. I would definitely try watermelon or tomatoes. For some reason, turkeys LOVE red foods and those are my go to foods when it is hot outside and I want to give them a treat.

Have you seen them walking around at all? They may be grazing on grass. I've heard of offering watermelon and soaked/sprouted feeds to make sure that they are getting sufficient water intake. I would definitely try watermelon or tomatoes. For some reason, turkeys LOVE red foods and those are my go to foods when it is hot outside and I want to give them a treat.
Yes, watermelon! OP: Turkeys hate to have their feed altered in any way - anything that is not familiar is suspect. What was their regular feed/ration that previous owner was supplying? Get some and then slowly switch them out to your `blend'. Also, they eat less when it is very hot.

Good luck! Keep us updated on how your turkeys do. I've found that my turkeys refuse alfalfa in their feeds. Maybe you could look into if your food has alfalfa in it. I've had to switch from alfalfa to beet pulp (which I will agree with the turkeys, it has a nicer, sweeter, more pleasant taste).

Back
Top Bottom