PLEASE help!! 9 weeks old chick not walking

sararoni

Chirping
7 Years
Aug 26, 2012
chicago
I got 6 chicks from a friend when they were 2 weeks old. They were bought from a breeder as day old chicks and had shown no problems while at my friend`s house.
After a few days at my place 1 of them could not stand.
After a lot of reading from the forums here I gave her B vitamin complex and she was fine again the second day.
After a few days another one had a crocked neck and could not walk and again got better with B vitamin.
After a week I saw blood in their brooder and started them all with Corid for 5 days. I was going to give corid for 3 more days but blood was seen again after 1 week and they got 5 more days. After 2 weeks I gave them 3 more days.

As soon as the corid treatment ended I saw one of them not standing, it was the chick that first had the leg issues. The second chick is still fine and so are the other 4.
She has been inside since 3 days.
I gave her B vitamin confident this happened because corid drained away that, but no improvements at all.
I have been reading a lot from the posts regarding similar cases and have given her, garlic and yogurt as well.
Today she is not eating very well.
Her poop has been mostly watery and green looking.
Just now I gave her some corid with a syringe so maybe I can rule out coccidiosis. She didnt have any blood this time but I am running out of options and hope that it was a vitamin deficiency like I believed it was the first time this happened to her 7 weeks ago.
Now she is 9.5 weeks and this time is looking serious.

1. Could this be Mareks? They were not vaccinated against it.
2. Can Mareks come and go like this?

She was on chick starter and some times little grass or greens from the garden.

Any advises of what this can be and what to do at this point will be very appreciated
Please tell me what you think

Following! I have a 12 wk old who just started having difficulty with walking yesterday. I also just completed several days of treatment with corid. Hopefully someone can give us some insight on what might be going on.

This is how her poop looks. She just has chick starter, yoghurt and some garlic

Mamahen sorry for your chick too.
Mine is still the same. Today is the second day on corid but I am taking a risk giving her that.
I really hope someone might know what this is.
I have amoxicillin if nothing else helps and someone might advice it.
Her poop has been mostly green and watery like in the picture

Last edited:
Mamahen sorry for your chick too.
Mine is still the same. Today is the second day on corid but I am taking a risk giving her that.
I really hope someone might know what this is.
I have amoxicillin if nothing else helps and someone might advice it.
Her poop has been mostly green and watery like in the picture
Short term use of Corid should be fine, so I'd keep giving that. Do you have the Corid liquid or powder? How do you feel about tube feeding? Willing to learn? If so, I can teach you.

-Kathy

The amprolium/corid is a thiamine B1 inhibitor. So just when the vitamin B was taking affect you administered corid and effectively rendered it useless.
Remove all medicated feed and corid make a mash of scrambled egg and add some vit B ,polyvisol or nutridrench . There are avian multi vits that can be added to the water. If you suspect coccocidiosis switch to sulfadimethoxine, it's a good alternative to amprolium . The green poop is sometimes a sign of starvation, there are baby bird/parrot formulas available at pet shops that contain vitamins and probiotics. Try the scrambled egg first, and a little sugar in the water , small amounts , often.
Kathy is the expert on tube feeding, if all else fails. :)

http://www.jefferspet.com/products/...84af9fa2600f00000499/533884af9fa2600f0000049c

http://www.jefferspet.com/products/...84af9fa2600f00000499/533884b09fa2600f000004ae

Last edited:
FWIW, I've seen two posts from two different people that had paralysis in their birds. Birds died and necropsies were performed and the cause of death in both was coccodiosis. One of those people had a second pullet that was starting to limp and the hen recovered after a couple of days of Corid. I don't understand how coccidiosis can cause limping/paralysis, but in these cases it did.

If I suspect coccidiosis in one of mine I medicate their water *and* I give them an oral dose. With the 9.6% liquid I give it straight from the syringe at 0.02ml per 100 grams of body weight. Doing it with the powder is trickier... With the powder put 1/2 teaspoon in a 12ml syringe and fill that syringe to the 10ml mark. Now you have 10ml of water with ~270 mg (27mg/ml). Shake well and give 0.075ml per 100 grams. Make sense?

-Kathy

Kathy and Fancychooklady thank goodness you are here
hugs.gif

I gave her for 2.5 days the b vitamin with a syringe to make sure she gets it.
Her poop has been watery which could have been because I was dozing her but the green was getting worse.
I thought she wont die from vitamin deficiency maybe but cocci will kill her if it is that she has.
I am giving her the liquid corid, that is the only one the feed store had.
She doesnt seem to drink from the drinker so I use the syringe so she might getting a little more than she should.

She has a plate of scrambled eggs with yogurt and a few half grapes but is not eating very well.
She ate a little bit of the chick feed in the morning. She seems alert and her eyes are bright.
I feel like her appetite is slowing down though and I was watching the videos just before your replies came :)

So today is the 2nd day on corid. Should I continue a few more days to eliminate the cocci possibility?? Or should I go back to B vitamin right away??
I am 35 miles from the nearest tractor supply and the only other vitamins I have are human multivitamins without iron.

I will post her pictures in a bit in case that might help on the decision on what to do.

I just cant tell you how much it means to me to have you with me now

Oh this is a hard one. Wryneck is the direct result of a severe thiamine B1 deficiency and by administering the amprolium you are further depleting the thiamine.
Is there anyway you could order the di-methox from Jeffers pet? Btw for a severe outbreak of cocci it's recommended to give the amprolium over a 3 week period, god only knows how bad the muscle atrophy will be by then. The human B complex is fine but there is no point in giving it with the corid because one cancels the other out. Another good source of thiamine and niacin is brewers yeast that can be sprinkled on the feed.
You have some tough decisions to make, hopefully if we all put our heads together we can help you through this.

http://www.thepoultrysite.com/publications/6/diseases-of-poultry/216/vitamin-bi-deficiency

Last edited:

I took her out the box so you can see how she can stand and she squirted the below poop on the floor and on my feet. Even before she squirted her watery green poop but this was stronger. And not totally green like before....

Back
Top Bottom