Geese, Chickens, and Parasites

markt1

In the Brooder
6 Years
Feb 2, 2013
We have a pair of Embden geese that have laid 42 eggs over two seasons with only a single egg being fertile and hatching. So we have given up on geese reproduction and are now only keeping the geese as pets. We want to raise about a dozen chickens for both the eggs and their offspring's' meat. To date our geese and ganders have been pretty much bulletproof with no lice, mites, or other parasites. We're concerned about the possibility that the chickens could pick up these things and pass them on to our pet geese. Should we be concerned about this? Can chickens pass on lice and mites to geese?

We have a pair of Embden geese that have laid 42 eggs over two seasons with only a single egg being fertile and hatching. So we have given up on geese reproduction and are now only keeping the geese as pets. We want to raise about a dozen chickens for both the eggs and their offspring's' meat. To date our geese and ganders have been pretty much bulletproof with no lice, mites, or other parasites. We're concerned about the possibility that the chickens could pick up these things and pass them on to our pet geese. Should we be concerned about this? Can chickens pass on lice and mites to geese?
It could happen but when my chickens had mites none of my water fowl got them, having some kind of pool for them to bathe in helps keep external parasites off. But I do worm my water fowl in late winter before mating season starts up. My chickens 3X a year unless I see worms in their poop.

Back
Top Bottom