Bale of Alfalfa for the Run ???

iwiw60

Crowing
5 Years
Jan 27, 2014
Central Oregon
I've been toying with the idea of putting a small bale of alfalfa in the chicken run in a few weeks to give the girls something to do plus getting some nutrients from the alfalfa. When I went to the feed store the price for a single bale was $14.00 and I asked if they had 'half-bales' possibly. The girl says "no, but we have alfalfa/grass bales at $11.00. I told her I was just pricing and went home.

Thinking about it I got to wondering if the grass content might not be detrimental simply for the fact that the "strands" will be quite long and I know chickens (especially mine!) can be little piggies and worry about an impacted crop down the road. Has anyone bought the alfalfa/grass bales and if so is the grass content in 'long cuts' ?? I just don't want to spend the money, get it home, lug it into the coop, and end up with a sick chicken down the road.

Anyone???

My chickens like the hay to sleep in, and just play with, they don't really eat it.

I just use timothy hay (the leftover hay from my rabbits' bale), and I give them a few flakes at a time.

I keep horses, and pretty much always have grass hay. When we bring a load home, the chickens are usually all over it before we can get it unloaded. I use the loose hay from the barn floor for bedding in nest boxes, or just toss it in the coop as part of the deep litter. I've never had a problem with an impacted crop. The alfalfa has a higher protein content, but the grass will do just as well for entertaining them.

I keep horses, and pretty much always have grass hay. When we bring a load home, the chickens are usually all over it before we can get it unloaded. I use the loose hay from the barn floor for bedding in nest boxes, or just toss it in the coop as part of the deep litter. I've never had a problem with an impacted crop. The alfalfa has a higher protein content, but the grass will do just as well for entertaining them.
Thanks for the reply...now it's just a matter of me being the OCD person I am and deciding whether to spend $14 or $11!!!
frow.gif

Back
Top Bottom