Raising Chicks in the Autumn!

MuddyBootsPA

In the Brooder
6 Years
Feb 5, 2013
It was a rough summer. We lost 2 out of 6 of our hens unexpectedly. So instead of waiting until spring to get our next batch of chicks, we opted to raise chicks this fall instead, so they would be ready to lay by spring. We are fairly new to chicken keeping as this is only our 2nd batch of chicks in 18 months.

So today I went & picked up 4 beautiful little RIR/Ameraucana crosses from our local farm that are 11 days old. The Dad was the RIR & Mom was an Ameraucana.

Right now the babies are resting comfortably in a small brooder in our bathroom :) We plan on transferring them to a larger brooder in our shed in a week or two after the heat subsides (it's supposed to be 90 next week!). They are warm & happy & seem to be in great health.

So is there anything I should do differently in the brooder set up for Fall babies?? Any extra precautions??

Just watch out for drafts and wind chills. Sorry about your losses!
hugs.gif

I find it easier to raise chicks this time of year, as you're not dealing with capricious spring weather. It's warmer now, and usually stays warm for another month or so. By the time the cool sets in, your chicks will be fully feathered and able to handle any temp. As stated, keep them from the wind and wet and you're good to go!

Back
Top Bottom