I Need Help Fast!

2AcreFarmer

In the Brooder
6 Years
5 Years
Jan 23, 2014
I recently bought a Khaki Campbell duck at a flea market. I was told by the seller that you can keep her in the same run and coop as your chickens. I put the duck in a cage and put her in the chicken run. (To let the chickens get a feel of her). Later that evening I decide to take her out of the cage, (with me in there in case something went wrong), and one of my chickens attacked her and the other 5 joined right in. Including my barred rock rooster who was the last one to join in. How can I get the chickens used to my new duck?

Keep the duck in the cage in the coop. You will want to give it plenty of freedom with you away from the chickens. It can take a long time for a flock to accept a new bird. Be patient.

Keep the duck in the cage in the coop. You will want to give it plenty of freedom with you away from the chickens. It can take a long time for a flock to accept a new bird. Be patient.

So is it okay for me to take the duck out and allow her to get in her pool?

Yes. She will need to get comfortable with you too.

When we adopted a drake. We kept him on a cage on the pen with our girls for a week without putting them together. Then we slowly introduced them face to face with just a couple of the flock at a time. Eventually we let the flock and him out together supervised then later once they all got along, unsupervised.
It was a couple months before I was confident enough to put them all together in the coop at night.

Yes. She will need to get comfortable with you too.

When we adopted a drake. We kept him on a cage on the pen with our girls for a week without putting them together. Then we slowly introduced them face to face with just a couple of the flock at a time. Eventually we let the flock and him out together supervised then later once they all got along, unsupervised.
It was a couple months before I was confident enough to put them all together in the coop at night.

Okay. Any advice on raising ducks? I'm new to it. My duck doesn't seem to want to eat her scratch.

Back
Top Bottom