2 week old playpen...

sarahandbray

Songster
5 Years
Aug 12, 2014
My kids and I put this 4'X4' playpen/chicken tractor today!
Two old cribs, headed for the scrap pile plus nails, old chicken wire, zip ties, staple gun and *voila!*
They LOVED it!! Didn't want to go back in the brooder!

That must have been a fun project to work on with the kids. What breed of birds do you have?

Well, we have a straight run mix of 25 chickens from McMurray--of which the only ones I'm 100% sure are Barred Rocks. I think I also have Easter Eggers, Welsummers, Dixie Rainbows (Pioneers) and I know for sure I have a Naked Neck (Turken). The other 16 I know for sure (different hatchery)--Lavender Orpington, Olive Egger, Ameracuana, Welsummer, and Black Copper Maran.
It's been fun so far--but out of the 43 chicks, I'm CONVINCED that 30 or so are males! Would be my luck! Only 2 weeks old today--we'll see what the percentages are in a few weeks...hoping for 50/50!!

If you can get some full body close-ups of the birds you aren't sure of, you can post a thread on here and get some help identifying them.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/15/what-breed-or-gender-is-this

Earlier this year we got 15 females (4 different breeds) + 1 mystery chick (male Polish) from Murray McMurray. They've been such healthy, fast-growing birds. I wouldn't hesitate to order from them again in the future.

Yes, I've also been pleased with Murray McMurray. I do realize that they are a hatchery, which seems, in the chicken world, to almost be like saying "puppy mill" in the dog world, but so far, the 27 chicks have been great! My own naïveté is to blame for getting Straight Run (not sure what I was thinking!) but it's live and learn! Next time, I'll know the breeds better and spend the extra $$ up front on only girls :)
I'm going to try to re-home our posse of boys when the time comes, but if I can't, I'll be able to sleep knowing that these boys were pretty pampered and well taken care of for their time on earth!
I'm not going to be the one to cull them...I already told my hunter brother-in-law that there may come a weekend where I separate out the boys we're not keeping (hoping to keep two!) and he'll have to help with that process! Can't even imagine...
That will be AFTER I try to work magic on the "free-to-a-good-home" board!!
:)
Sarah

Back
Top Bottom