2 week-old Balding Polish Chick

DaHerd

Hatching
Feb 14, 2024
Hello! We have this little WC Polish chick that seems to be loosing her hair (like my wife now that I have chickens!!). Most of my searches to find out more about what may be going on usually just stop abruptly with "other chicken's are pecking them". I realize that may be true, but these are our first 6 chicks so our family of 7 keeps a pretty close eye on things. Her roommates are a Silver and a Gold Wyandotte, a Cinnamon Queen, an ISA, and a Sapphire Gem. In the flock the polish is the sweetest chick (scared of us) all of the others seem to take care of her. She seems completely submissive and appears to be content in not moving up in the pecking order. I feel deeply that she's not being picked on. The 6 of them are in a 4'x4' brooder box. My thoughts are is that she's rubbing up against the bottom of the hung feeder (now lowered) or under the arches of their mini roosting bars (will be breaking out the sander). There was also a cardboard pitched roof on the heating plate to keep poo off but it had an over hang so I removed it. Obviously I need to find the cause but is there anything I should be doing for her first aid wise? I have the anapestic spray we used a couple times on the bums but not sure I want that on her head/face. Will this have any long term effects? We obviously love her, however she looks, but we live in Montana and from experience being bald in the winter is no fun.

Any thoughts or suggestions are deeply appreciated!

Tipsy earning her name. Gave me a workout "chicken flippin" on our 2nd day. Yes, my fault more than likely with the wood chips 😔
PXL_20240216_001152519.MP~2.jpg

Lighting and zoom possibly make these look worse? It's pink flesh/skin nothing is red/bloody
PXL_20240228_042014515.jpg
Screenshot_20240227-212744.png

I could be totally wrong but it looks like your chick has pinfeathers growing in to replace the initial chicken fluff. Real feathers come in with a waxy coating that will eventually shed or be preened off to reveal their fluffier texture.

If I saw this on my chick I wouldn't be alarmed but always good to keep an eye on anything that looks different!

Back
Top Bottom