Pip close to pointy end day 19

only1bgirl

Songster
5 Years
Apr 24, 2014
Oregon
Day 19 have eight eggs in lockdown and first to pip is towards pointy end, Pipped and stopped, just made sure the chick could breath. It squirms and taps beak together but no chirping. I'm assuming it's not breathing air yet because of lack of chirping and that it's not ready to hatch yet since none of the others have even pipped. Does this sound right and does anyone have any suggestions or advice? These are Silkies by the way.

Take a deep breath and try not to panic.:hugs. Eggs that pip the wrong end can and do hatch on there own. If it were me I would make a note of when it piped and leave it 12 hours before even thinking about helping. As you say you have made sure it has air so now it could possibly resting. https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/step-by-step-guide-to-assisted-hatching. I have found this link most useful for when it comes to assisting. Could you post a pic of where it has pipped in the egg. Do you think the chick as done an internal pip can you see the beak?

When this happens to me I take a paper towel or toilet paper roll and cut off about a 1/2" or 3/4" tall ring... I then take that ring and put it in the incubator and place the egg on top of that ring so the ring acts sort of like a nest cradling the egg... Once that is done you can rotate, turn and position the egg in pretty much any orientation so that that pip hole is at the very top and elevated to the highest point... This allows a little air pocket to form at the pip hole and helps prevent that area from filling with any remaining liquid that is in the egg...

This isn't my picture, I stole it from an Easter egg coloring site, but it's the same idea...

When this happens to me I take a paper towel or toilet paper roll and cut off about a 1/2" or 3/4" tall ring... I then take that ring and put it in the incubator and place the egg on top of that ring so the ring acts sort of like a nest cradling the egg... Once that is done you can rotate, turn and position the egg in pretty much any orientation so that that pip hole is at the very top and elevated to the highest point... This allows a little air pocket to form at the pip hole and helps prevent that area from filling with any remaining liquid that is in the egg...

This isn't my picture, I stole it from an Easter egg coloring site, but it's the same idea...

. Good idea I never used this method have you had good results from it?

@Yorkshire coop @MeepBeep
Thank you!
Chick is breathing good and resting, no chirping yet so I think it's too soon for hatching pipped closer to pointy end, I can see a foot by the beak, so I think this is what would be considered malpositioned. The tip of beak was barely sticking out I made the hole larger gradually until I could see nostrils. It did not pip anywhere close to air cell, it's bedtime now, hopefully in the morning hatching will work out. Will update outcome and hopefully chick pics soon!

Last edited:
Peeping and resting, slowly pulled more shell and membrane off and got a better look, feet are pushed up against up air cell. Found blood around side of head so stopped, not seeing any yolk left either. Waiting, watching and hoping the other seven chicks are not in this position.

Your doing well glad it is still peeping if you have seen blood it is probably not ready to hatch yet any way. So think you have done the right thing to stop. Do you have any more pips or action in other eggs? :hugs

@Yorkshire coop
No they're not rocking like they were yesterday either, every once in awhile I think I hear a faint peep. Hard to tell with all of the wild birds around here and my two month old chicks. Just going to keep on waiting. If chick doesn't push out later today, might try pulling more of membrane off of a foot. I did notice that around the original pip the membranes were drying out and stuck to chick, poor thing has an eye glued shut.

I did notice that around the original pip the membranes were drying out and stuck to chick, poor thing has an eye glued shut.

If you can increase humidity in the incubator (do it safe so none drown) for example us a spray bottle filled with warm water open mist and close every so often, or lay down some wet paper towels in the incubator... Also take the egg that is open and trying out and using a q-tip and warm water moisten up the dried area that is sticking to the chick, then take another damp paper towel and wrap it around said egg to increase the humidity in the immediate area, and I generally let a little bit of the paper towel touch the membrane, as this allows the moister to wick out of the paper towel and into the membrane... If you don't keep it moist you will shrink wrap the chick and that will cause more issues...

Back
Top Bottom