Mixed flock with one silkie

chickmama2014

Songster
10 Years
Apr 14, 2014
Hello again. I have a question on feeding my flock of six. I have all different breeds. I have read the silkies need to eat at least 20% protein but better to have 22%.
So do I need to buy an all flock feed or meat bird feed? and just make sure to give the crushed shells back to them so they have enough calcium. I also have oyster shells and grit of course.

I've not seen good data of different breeds having significantly different protien requirements. No doubt there is lots of opinions and backyard science on the subject though.
All flock feeds take into account the needs of ducks, turkeys, geese and even game birds. So tend to 20% or more protien. But commercial layers are getting feed at about 17%. Commercially egg growers know where every gram of feed, protien and nutrient is going and how to extract every last cent of value.
But as backyard chook keepers we like to give a bit extra for whatever reason we see fit.
I'm of the opinion also that protien is not a day in day out requirement. 10% protien feed today and 30% protien tomorrow is fine. Nature is good like that. 10% protien for a month and 30% protien for a month might be getting inefficient however.

So im fine feeding a big treat of low protien (15%) layer feed for a day or few while im too busy because it's convenient. Then giving them some gamebird feed (28%) for a day or few as a soaked porridge after. In my mind variety is interesting for my chickens. But God knows what is really going on in their heads.

Anyway.... I've jabbered enough. People forget game bird crumble as a good affordabke protien boost. So it's a good option if you feel the need for extra protien. I've seen it as high as 30%.

Back
Top Bottom