Worming peacocks

hairco

Songster
7 Years
Jan 7, 2013
I know this has been ask so many times.I need to worm my peacocks and i have read that u have to go back on the 3rd day and do it again.Is there something i can use that i want have to do it twice because i have a lot and i don;t do the water thing.Thanks so much

I know this has been ask so many times.I need to worm my peacocks and i have read that u have to go back on the 3rd day and do it again.Is there something i can use that i want have to do it twice because i have a lot and i don;t do the water thing.Thanks so much

What are you using to worm them? We use safeguard orally and we dose them once a day for 3 days in a row and then do it again 10 days later. We do it this way in the fall, and since we have to catch and hold them anyway we also clip nails and beaks at this time if needed. We are much lazier in the spring and put the safeguard in the water for 5 days and then repeat again 10 days later. I don't really know of any wormer that is effective when only administered 1 time.

If u do it every day how much saftgard do u give them? Mine are grown

The one day Safeguard goat/cattle liquid or Safeguard horse paste dose I use on large peahens is 2ml and on large cocks it's 3ml. Repeat in ten days.

-Kathy

Last edited:
The one day Safeguard goat/cattle liquid or Safeguard horse paste dose I use on large peahens is 2ml and on large cocks it's 3ml. Repeat in ten days.

-Kathy

Does that actually work only doing it one day? I thought everyone said it had to be at least 3 days.
idunno.gif

-Kathy

Does that actually work only doing it one day? I thought everyone said it had to be at least 3 days.  :idunno

So sorry, my bad, I guess I should have been clearer, lol. That one day dose will treat roundworms and cecal worms, but will *not* treat gapes, tapes or capillary worms. If I suspect gapes or tapes I treat three days in a row, but if I suspect capillary worms, they get five days of worming.

There was a study done that showed 70% of birds infected with capillary worms were successfully treat with one massive dose (twice what I give), but the other 30% required an additional 4-6 days (can't remember that part, lol). Will try to find that study.

-Kathy

So sorry, my bad, I guess I should have been clearer, lol. That one day dose will treat roundworms and cecal worms, but will *not* treat gapes, tapes or capillary worms. If I suspect gapes or tapes I treat three days in a row, but if I suspect capillary worms, they get five days of worming.

There was a study done that showed 70% of birds infected with capillary worms were successfully treat with one massive dose (twice what I give), but the other 30% required an additional 4-6 days (can't remember that part, lol). Will try to find that study.

-Kathy

Okay, that makes me feel better! Capillary worms are what concern me as they have been found in stool samples from my birds in the past. So I try to follow a regimen that will take care of them, I may just go to the 5 days this year. I think we had talked about that a while ago and you had told me 5 was better, so I was confused when you posted a one day dose. No need to post the study for my benefit, I'll take your word for it.
highfive.gif

Back
Top Bottom