Confirming Red Star/red sex-link male before re-homing...

sarahandbray

Songster
5 Years
Aug 12, 2014
Would like to re-home 4 Barred Rocks and 2 Red Star males to start reducing my straight-run flock.
Already 100% positive on the 4/7 Barred Rocks. How about these guys? I have two red sex-link females...so maybe these are males?
Random assortment from McMurray, 5 weeks old today.
Giving them away free on a Facebook Swap or Craigslist. Free is probably best? Or should I "charge" a nominal amount?

Yep those look like RSL males. That's the nice thing about sex-links. Males and females look different, so you know what you have! I had some RSL roos for sale a while ago too. I put $2 on them and a lady bought them to butcher. If no one seems interested, maybe offer them for free after a while.

Yup! They are males! Male red sex linked are white with brown splotching on the wings. Females are all brown with a few hints of white. For the future when buying sex linked chicks, male chicks are yellow and female chicks are brown :)

Well...in McMurray's defense...I bought the Special Assorted Mix (which only comes straight run)...
So these two are safe to re-home, right?
Trying to keep two Roos out of my straight run batch of 44 chicks...hoping I have at least 16 hens, but I'm looking very Roo heavy!!
Sarah

Well...in McMurray's defense...I bought the Special Assorted Mix (which only comes straight run)...
So these two are safe to re-home, right?
Trying to keep two Roos out of my straight run batch of 44 chicks...hoping I have at least 16 hens, but I'm looking very Roo heavy!!
Sarah
Yes, they should be fine to re-home. McMurray sent me 5 RSL males (the ones I mentioned earlier) for some reason. I didn't order any assortments and I got plenty of birds, so there was no need for warmth. I still don't know why they did that. Oh well! I just sold 3 and kept 2 and they do grow into very handsome boys!

Think I can get a few dollars for them? I put them on Craigslist for $4 each, all 6 for $20. Is that reasonable? They're healthy, vaccinated birds, but I don't want to sound ridiculous asking for $$ for Roos.

Just saw that you put them on for $2. Oops! Didn't read closely. Will lower in a week or so. Would rather people keep them with their flock, but I know that's probably naive of me...

Just saw that you put them on for $2. Oops! Didn't read closely. Will lower in a week or so. Would rather people keep them with their flock, but I know that's probably naive of me...
I know it's hard to think that the birds you raise may end up on the table. I almost didn't sell them to that lady, but I was in the same boat you were in...too many roos! Because she was willing to pay and I was really in need to be rid of them, I jumped on it. Hopefully you'll find someone that wants some handsome "men" strutting around their yard.
smile.png

I say leave your ad on for a few days, you can always reduce the price if you get no takers.

Some folks around here think I'm crazy for charging the price I do for birds (pullets/young layers are $20). I saw an ad local recently for point of lay pullets for $8 each--I would never lose money like that! Plus, I always sell out of my birds, even at my "high" prices. It may take a week or two to sell them all, but that's okay with me.

Then again, around here I can't give cockerels away. Hopefully you have a better market!

Thanks! I checked Craigslist first and most people are charging something, something...luckily, I'm in no rush. No one's aggressive or not getting yet. Figured I should start looking and slowly reducing as I'm 100% positive rather than trying to rehome 20 Roos all at once in desperation!!

Back
Top Bottom