Red Sex Link or no?

11 weeks old now, he's turning out to be quite handsome ❤️

View attachment 3586787View attachment 3586788View attachment 3586790
That is still puzzling! He definitely has white barring, and if the father (Rhode Island Red) had no white barring, then it must have come from the mother. So I think his mother must be the Barred Rock (even though that means she is carrying some genes that a purebred Barred Rock is not supposed to carry, like the one that allows red to show instead of having a plain black base color.)

That is still puzzling! He definitely has white barring, and if the father (Rhode Island Red) had no white barring, then it must have come from the mother. So I think his mother must be the Barred Rock (even though that means she is carrying some genes that a purebred Barred Rock is not supposed to carry, like the one that allows red to show instead of having a plain black base color.)
I agree, it has to be the Barred Rock even though it shouldn't be. I saw the rooster and he had zero barring and was a nice, dark mahogany color. We're keeping this guy so I'm looking forward to seeing what he looks like fully grown.

What a beautiful boy!

Looks a bit Bielefelder-ish. I wonder if one of your hens, or the father has that breed in their history?

What a beautiful boy!

Looks a bit Bielefelder-ish. I wonder if one of your hens, or the father has that breed in their history?

Sorry, I didn't see your reply until now. His father was definitely a pure Rhode Island Red and all of the hens were supposedly purebred as well (no Bielefelders among them). I do agree that he looks a lot like one though.

Just a little update on this dude. Coming up on 20 weeks now.

DSC_7002-01.jpeg

DSC_7020-01.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom